Taking DAT JUNE 9th (Maybe) HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ECDA13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I really need some advise. I signed up for the DAT and plan on taking it on June 7th but now I am starting to doubt myself. I have been studying on and off for about 2 months now but I don't feel like I am not ready. I have a full time Job and I don't think I have dedicate enough time for it. I have gone through all of chads video, doing the DAT and Math destroyer and AP biology but I start freaking out every time I start the questions. I have horrible test anxiety and I don't know if that's what hindering my thoughts and causing me to second guess myself. I guess my question is to all of you who have more experience... (1) should I postpone the test? or should I hard core prepare in the next three weeks and take it on the set date? I want to take it early June because I want to start my application process earlier than waiting until the last moment to submit. PLEASE HELP!! any advise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

From this post, you have 17 days until your test.

Think about the material you studied, and ask yourself if you are ready. We have no idea how ready you are based on what you told us.

How have you been scoring on the practice tests? If you're still scoring low, don't worry, still 17 days to learn the information. Try taking a practice test in a week from now after reviewing more. Just keep preparing until everything becomes close to second nature to you, and hopefully, you will remove your anxiety because as soon as most of the questions and answers start to make sense and you begin to ace the practice tests, you will become more confident for the real thing.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
From this post, you have 17 days until your test.

Think about the material you studied, and ask yourself if you are ready. We have no idea how ready you are based on what you told us.

How have you been scoring on the practice tests? If you're still scoring low, don't worry, still 17 days to learn the information. Try taking a practice test in a week from now after reviewing more. Just keep preparing until everything becomes close to second nature to you, and hopefully, you will remove your anxiety because as soon as most of the questions and answers start to make sense and you begin to ace the practice tests, you will become more confident for the real thing.

Good luck.
Thank you. I have haven't really sat through a full length mock test yet. I've just been doing them by sections. I know i have to do full length ones to build a good pace but Ive been doing the DAT bootcamp guide and until now ive just been doing the section tests. I haven't really paid much attention to the PAT or the QR section which is now making me more anxious. I have done great on the chad quizzes but I really don't know how that compares to the actual exam itself. Do you think I should review Chads quizzes/videos (especially for GC and OC) and do full length tests from now until the 7th? how should I cram/slash study for the PAT and QR section? I'm a DA during the day and by the time I'm done with work im exhausted so i really can't allot a ton of time to studying at night bc i do have to rest and get back to work early the next day. Thank you once again for your advise!

IMO, the DAT is not an exam you can study for on and off. That may be fine when doing a general review, but the less time you spend studying, the sooner you will forget the material. You'll need to increase the amount of time studying per day, probably to 4-6 hours, and as the exam approaches, maybe 8-12 hours. If I were you, I would delay the exam until the end of June. Your application will be in the first few batches and this gives you a few extra weeks to prepare. Make a study schedule and stick to it. I would list goals for the day and cross them out as I completed each one. This kept me focused and allowed me to see how much progress I was making each day and week. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just recently went through the same thing. I was actually suppose to take my DAT today but I felt so unprepared. I did not want to risk it and get bad scores. To me paying extra money to reschedule is worth it. You just have to buckle down and know what needs to be done in the coming months so that you can succeed when you actually do take the DAT. Good luck!

Hey guys I really need some advise. I signed up for the DAT and plan on taking it on June 7th but now I am starting to doubt myself. I have been studying on and off for about 2 months now but I don't feel like I am not ready. I have a full time Job and I don't think I have dedicate enough time for it. I have gone through all of chads video, doing the DAT and Math destroyer and AP biology but I start freaking out every time I start the questions. I have horrible test anxiety and I don't know if that's what hindering my thoughts and causing me to second guess myself. I guess my question is to all of you who have more experience... (1) should I postpone the test? or should I hard core prepare in the next three weeks and take it on the set date? I want to take it early June because I want to start my application process earlier than waiting until the last moment to submit. PLEASE HELP!! any advise would be appreciated.

Dude.. On May fifth I finished school, I started studying for the dat may 6th. I just took it yesterday, and this is how I did. You'll do great if you've been studying for longer than two months now. Don't let the anxiety kill you, the test is much easier than any achiever/destroyer problems out there. I'm not saying my scores are the greatest, but for 2 weeks of studying I'm definitely satisfied with my scores. On any practice test I finished qr on problem 25 with like 2 minutes left and guessed on the rest, on the real deal I finished and had 8 minutes left to check over my answers. The calculator helped sooo much more than anyone has ever said it's helped. Mine was very quick and very responsive. Just like any calculator, just without all the functions. No lag time whatsoever. Here are my scores - you'll do much better than me. Btw, I studied rigorously during those two weeks. 7 am - 12 am. Some days 4 am-12am. Studying is key

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 95
Dude.. On May fifth I finished school, I started studying for the dat may 6th. I just took it yesterday, and this is how I did. You'll do great if you've been studying for longer than two months now. Don't let the anxiety kill you, the test is much easier than any achiever/destroyer problems out there. I'm not saying my scores are the greatest, but for 2 weeks of studying I'm definitely satisfied with my scores. On any practice test I finished qr on problem 25 with like 2 minutes left and guessed on the rest, on the real deal I finished and had 8 minutes left to check over my answers. The calculator helped sooo much more than anyone has ever said it's helped. Mine was very quick and very responsive. Just like any calculator, just without all the functions. No lag time whatsoever. Here are my scores - you'll do much better than me. Btw, I studied rigorously during those two weeks. 7 am - 12 am. Some days 4 am-12am. Studying is key
What did you use to study in the two weeks especially for PAT,QR and RC? I wish I could devote that much time but I can't so ill just have to do the best I can. Thanks for your reply!!

What did you use to study in the two weeks especially for PAT,QR and RC? I wish I could devote that much time but I can't so ill just have to do the best I can. Thanks for your reply!!
I used chads videos to an extensive amount, I highly recommend them for everything besides biology, go through his videos and take notes and then go through them another time without taking notes, but just pure understanding which will help so much. I went through destroyer for each of those sections for up to about 100 problems each. For PAT I learned the different methods for hole punching and cube counting. Angles I kind of had a knack for so I only studied with the two achiever practice tests I took for those and for too front end and folding I used another thread which I'll post at the end of this. Keyhole I also had to practice to understand the different ways I can turn and twist the object to fit into the holes.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-wicked-sick-pat-tutorial.528643/. Use this and it's sure to help you with those. I only practiced pat with the two achiever tests I took, I didn't finish all 7 achiever tests because how mad I was that I couldn't understand the questions. I got a 16 and 15 on the two tests (AA) and on the actual test I went up at least 4-5 points in each subject, which I'm sure anyone can do since it's such a tough practice test.

The only way to approximate whether you are ready is practice tests. I compared my bootcamp/datqvault/achiever/2007/2009 practice DAT scores with people who posted their scores on SDN and what they did on the actual DAT. I was ready and confident because my practice scores were similar to people who did well.

I appreciate and thank all of you for the advise and tips you have provided. I will definitely take all of them into account and will be doing more practice tests. THANK YOU!!!

I appreciate and thank all of you for the advise and tips you have provided. I will definitely take all of them into account and will be doing more practice tests. THANK YOU!!!
Go in there with the mentality that you're going to murder the test! Best of luck!

Do not focus on the test. Focus only on the material that you are studying. Make sure you write down all the questions that gave you problems and address them fully to make sure you understand those topics.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!! So I've come up with a schedule/ Cram session and I'm not sure how well it will work so I definitely would love so input in how I can improve it or use my time wisely.
I have exactly two weeks now and started this schedule yest.
May 22th-24th- (GC): Chads videos and DAT destroyer
May 25th-27th:(BIO): Read AP BIO, Chads (MAYBE) DAT Destroyer
May 28th-30th: (OG): Chads videos and DAT destroyer
The last week ill focus on PAT,QR and RC and practice test? (which I will take a full length one with Kaplan tomorrow) Any advise??? THANKS!!!!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!! So I've come up with a schedule/ Cram session and I'm not sure how well it will work so I definitely would love so input in how I can improve it or use my time wisely.
I have exactly two weeks now and started this schedule yest.
May 22th-24th- (GC): Chads videos and DAT destroyer
May 25th-27th:(BIO): Read AP BIO, Chads (MAYBE) DAT Destroyer
May 28th-30th: (OG): Chads videos and DAT destroyer
The last week ill focus on PAT,QR and RC and practice test? (which I will take a full length one with Kaplan tomorrow) Any advise???
THANKS!!!!!!

Uhh...good luck with that? Sounds hellacious.