taking Dat without Biol II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhalad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm taking the Dat in May this year. It is my second attempt, and I was wondering what do you guys think taking the Dat without having completed general biology II. I already took microbiology, anatomy, physiology, general biology I, and biochemistry. I have also completed majority of the other pre-required courses. I've got only physics II and general biology II left to take. I'm planning to put alot of time studying biology section, particularly chapters that involve animals, plants, evolution, etc. But my question to you is do you think it is doable in this way or should I just take the class this spring semester and take the Dat in the summer. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

we don't even have a bio II at my school and i took the DAT after taking general bio, biochem, and physiology - i was fine. the biology section is pretty basic stuff but it is A LOT of material. if you can get your hands on a kaplan book their science sections were pretty comprehensive and that was what I used to study. GL!

it's doable, but why take a risk? Take the class in spring and DAT in the summer. Just have all your stuff into AADSAS in May/June.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's doable, but why take a risk? Take the class in spring and DAT in the summer. Just have all your stuff into AADSAS in May/June.

x2; if you're retaking becasue you needed a new DAT score- be prepared as you can be by taking this course.

i took the dat in the summer (after i had started my aadsas application). i STILL haven't ever taken Bio II and i got a 19 on the biology section.

i studied a lot for biology. i used schaum's, ap bio, destroyer. there is just so many facts.

i think it would have been way easier on myself if i had taken biology II, but i managed to get a 20 AA overall and that got me into four schools.

if you have time, go ahead and take the class so it will make it easier on yourself. it's doable w/out the class, just a lot harder (maybe it was all psychological and i freaked out knowing that i hadnt taken the class and had to take a test over it but oh well)

i would say if you can take bio 2 during the spring, then go ahead. although you have taken a lot of upper divs, i think bio 2 will help you refresh those ideas and let you know that you don't need all the detail you learned in upper divs for DAT. i think it'll be a very good course to take before taking your DAT. if you think you can, you can also prepare your apps & DAT during the spring semester so that you have everything ready to go in may/june. (ex. submit aadsas and take DAT in may/june).

Its definetly doable, i took the DAT (senior year of college) without Bio 1 (as i had taken AP in my senior year of highschool).

Most of the information can be obtained from Kaplan and DAT Review books. Just make sure you spend extra time and focus on that material which you are weeak in.