1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

taking dat without preparation

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kkikkokka, Apr 13, 2007.

1. kkikkokka

Pre-Dental
    I was going to study DAT for 2 month may and june
    and take it on july
    but it seems a little late. b/c by the time schools receive my score, it would be like August or September.
    so i was thinking should I just take the test on May or June
    But the problem is I am not ready to take DAT at all!!!!!!!

what is your suggestion?

Thanks~~~

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quartel

quartel Mitte 1 home prn

Pharmacy Student
    im probably not qualified to answer this being a n00b but yeah.....take it when you are actually ready....DAT marks count for a lot.

4. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have seen a lot of posts stating that DAT scores will be sent to schools in as little as 2 weeks.

This depends on when youÂ’re applying as well. If you apply May 15, then your app will get to schools in the first two weeks July (6-8 weeks).

Just time your DAT scores to arrive when your app arrive. There is no point to rush taking the DAT in order to get scores sent to schools, especially when they may just end up sitting there waiting for your app to arrive.

5. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Don't take the DAT until you are ready.

6. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    1) Only take the DAT when you are READY and have STUDIED. With the exception of the ocassional troll who says they took the DAT without studying and scored a 32 out of 30, no one has ever posted that they didn't study and did well on the DAT. The DAT is the most important indicator that most dental schools use to initially measure whether you can handle a dental school academic curriculum.

2) It will take about 2 weeks for your DAT scores to reach the schools after taking the test. I took the test on July 18th and most schools had my scores by August 1st

3) It takes 6+ weeks for your AADSAS application to get to dental schools after you e-submit. E-submit the application as soon as it is ready. Take time to make sure there aren't any errors, but try to submit it early (before June 1st) and you should be fine. The 6 week mark is not always a perfectly accurate measure because it depends upon how many people submit early.

And finally, only a few schools (texas schools, Case, and maybe a couple others I can't recall) start reviewing your applications before August...so don't stress on the timetable too much unless you are e-submitting late in July or Takeing the DAT in late august. Timing is important, and early is best, but it is okay to submit a little later...it will just lower your chance of acceptance and delay how early you hear back...but it doesn't completely kill an application.

7. diane07

Pre-Dental
    Study before you take the DAT! Unless you're a genius . . .

8. kkikkokka

Pre-Dental
    thatz what i thought too.
    if i take DAT now
    i would probably score 0
    thanx guyz!!!
    you guys are always helpful:)