taking dat without preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkikkokka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to study DAT for 2 month may and june
and take it on july
but it seems a little late. b/c by the time schools receive my score, it would be like August or September.
so i was thinking should I just take the test on May or June
But the problem is I am not ready to take DAT at all!!!!!!!

what is your suggestion?

Thanks~~~

Members don't see this ad.

im probably not qualified to answer this being a n00b but yeah.....take it when you are actually ready....DAT marks count for a lot.

I have seen a lot of posts stating that DAT scores will be sent to schools in as little as 2 weeks.

This depends on when you’re applying as well. If you apply May 15, then your app will get to schools in the first two weeks July (6-8 weeks).

Just time your DAT scores to arrive when your app arrive. There is no point to rush taking the DAT in order to get scores sent to schools, especially when they may just end up sitting there waiting for your app to arrive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take the DAT until you are ready.

1) Only take the DAT when you are READY and have STUDIED. With the exception of the ocassional troll who says they took the DAT without studying and scored a 32 out of 30, no one has ever posted that they didn't study and did well on the DAT. The DAT is the most important indicator that most dental schools use to initially measure whether you can handle a dental school academic curriculum.

2) It will take about 2 weeks for your DAT scores to reach the schools after taking the test. I took the test on July 18th and most schools had my scores by August 1st

3) It takes 6+ weeks for your AADSAS application to get to dental schools after you e-submit. E-submit the application as soon as it is ready. Take time to make sure there aren't any errors, but try to submit it early (before June 1st) and you should be fine. The 6 week mark is not always a perfectly accurate measure because it depends upon how many people submit early.

And finally, only a few schools (texas schools, Case, and maybe a couple others I can't recall) start reviewing your applications before August...so don't stress on the timetable too much unless you are e-submitting late in July or Takeing the DAT in late august. Timing is important, and early is best, but it is okay to submit a little later...it will just lower your chance of acceptance and delay how early you hear back...but it doesn't completely kill an application.

Study before you take the DAT! Unless you're a genius . . .

thatz what i thought too.
if i take DAT now
i would probably score 0
thanx guyz!!!
you guys are always helpful:)