Taking free sign language classes offered in my town, can I write that as an EC on my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golden-Future

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking free sign language classes offered in my town, can I write that as an EC on my app?

Members don't see this ad.

ECs should be meaningful. If this is all you got then I'd be worried.

Reactions: 1 user
If you used the sign language in any meaningful way, then yes. Otherwise it's pointless imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can include it. Unless you're getting fairly "fluent" and using it regularly, you might use the Hobbies designation and group it with other leisure-time activities.

If you have acquired some skill, you can list it among your Languages. You'd be asked to check one of the following on the AMCAS application:
subsection_LANGUAGES.gif

Basic I speak the language imperfectly and only to a limited degree and in limited situations. I have difficulty in or understanding extended conversations.

Fair I speak and understand well enough to have extended conversations about current events, work, family, or personal life. Native speakers notice many errors in my speech or my understanding.

Good I speak well enough to participate in most conversations. Native speakers notice some errors in my speech or my understanding, but my errors rarely cause misunderstanding.

Advanced I speak very accurately, and I understand other speakers very accurately. Native speakers have no problem understanding me, but they probably perceive that I am not a native speaker.

Native/functionally native I converse easily and accurately in all types of situations. Native speakers may think that I am a native speaker, too.

Last edited:
In the Hobbies section. The EC's section covers a lot of stuff but in my opinion that mainly covers your volunteering
There's a hobby section on the AAMC?? I didn't know that.

There's a hobby section on the AAMC?? I didn't know that.

You can list 15 experiences. Each experience has one tag. There are about 18 tags to choose from. One of the choices is "Hobbies and advocations". Artistic endeavors is another. Athletics, Research, teaching/tutoring, employment, leadership, volunteer-clinical, volunteer non-clinical, etc....