Taking grad courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does taking graduate courses as a non-matric disqualify one from getting stafford loans? How does one pay for these?

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
Does taking graduate courses as a non-matric disqualify one from getting stafford loans? How does one pay for these?

I can't answer your first question about loans, but I put myself through grad school by working full-time and taking 1-2 classes a semester. Took longer to get my degree, but at least I don't have any student loans to pay back now. Many employers (both in academia and industry - I've had both over the years) have pretty good tuition reimbursement packages included in your benefits which help to defray at least part of the cost of classes.

microgin said:
I can't answer your first question about loans, but I put myself through grad school by working full-time and taking 1-2 classes a semester. Took longer to get my degree, but at least I don't have any student loans to pay back now. Many employers (both in academia and industry - I've had both over the years) have pretty good tuition reimbursement packages included in your benefits which help to defray at least part of the cost of classes.

I said as a non-matric, meaning I wouldn't be working towards a degree.

I think it's harder to get financial aid/loans if you're not degree seeking. How about scholarships as another option?