Taking IM boards as a first year fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this an absolute requirement to take the internal medicine boards as a first year fellow? It seems so overwhelming to start fellowship and to have to take the boards a month later. Is one allowed to postpone this test after their first year of fellowship? What is everyone elses experience? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Is this an absolute requirement to take the internal medicine boards as a first year fellow? It seems so overwhelming to start fellowship and to have to take the boards a month later. Is one allowed to postpone this test after their first year of fellowship? What is everyone elses experience? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks:)
Your fellowship program might require it but I didn't take it until my 3rd year for this very reason.

You do not have to take them, at least not per the ABIM right away (though there may be some kind time between training and sitting for them that might eventually disqualify you). I took mine first year and I do not think it was that big of a deal, plus I was MUCH closer to the out-patient side of IM which is what I think you lose the fastest. The other thing to keep in mind is that you cannot sit for any sub-specialty boards until you have past your IM boards.

Members don't see this ad :)

Will vary depending on your programs internal rules. I would just suck it up and take it though, the farther out you get from your core IM training the more painful it will become.

Will vary depending on your programs internal rules. I would just suck it up and take it though, the farther out you get from your core IM training the more painful it will become.
Even though I waited, I completely agree with this sentiment. I had to re-learn a bunch of stupid crap that I'll never use again because I was so far out from residency.

I agree. Take it early. Even though it will seem stressful at the time, you will have to study a lot more if you wait a few years before taking it.

I agree. Take it early. Even though it will seem stressful at the time, you will have to study a lot more if you wait a few years before taking it.

I agree. Take them upfront. There is a ton of minutia that you'd never remember a few years after you're done with IM (all of rheumatology, most of allergy, heme, derm, most of Onc). Plus, because you can't sit for your specialty boards until you're IM boarded, if you happen to be in the unlucky group that fails, you will have time to pass and take your specialty boards on time.

if the program doesn't care, can't you just take it 1st year of fellowship, in case you fail, you can take it next yr and hopefully pass, and get that baord certification by the time you graduate fellowship? as opposed to taking it last yr of fellowship, failing, and then having no IM certification affecting getting a job?