taking it back...need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous glove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So let's suppose you told a program recently they're #1. And now, of course, you're having a change of heart and want to make another program your top choice, bumping you're original #1 to #2. I bet it happens though not frequently.

If I do change, I think I should just write them on Monday that I'm not ranking them #1, but still very high and apologize for any inconvenience. My concern is that it will ruin my chances with this program altogether. Yet I don't want to just go ahead and change the ranking without saying anything as I've read that it's a bad thing to do.

Need some advice...

Members don't see this ad.

pretty sure programs hear this all the time. I wouldn't inform them at all, just do your rank list accordingly.

I had considered doing just that, but I just hear it's a bad idea.

I don't want to burn bridges, but I really don't want to ruin my chances of matching at my new #2, which I believe is pretty good.

Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, programs have most likely made their lists AND submitted them. It's a tough call...do you give them the courtesy of letting them know you ranked them #2. What if you don't get your #1 and you end up at the program that was originally #1, now #2? There is no way they would ever know where they were ranked on your list. I would probably just let it roll and forgo any future correspondence with any program. Good luck!

agree. . . there's really no good way to take it back. that's why you shouldn't get into that kind of situation in the first place.

Well, I do realize this isn't the best situation. I guess maybe the best thing is to leave it be?...

Yea really. If I had a time machine there would be other things I'd take back in addition to committing to a number 1. I'm in the same position and am unsure of what to do. I want to make my 2 my 1.

Turk, if I do make a change, I'll do it Monday afternoon by email. The programs then should have everything submitted, and I think my hunch that it won't really matter is probably right.

I don't think these letters matter, even if they do say you're my #1, so what difference does it make if that's true.

Still, I'll send a courtesy email, maybe even Tuesday.

Where's aProgDirector when you need him/her?

I'm fortunately not in the position, but I think that if you went out of your way to specifically say that you're ranking them #1 (not "highly," or any other code, but a firm commitment to #1) you should take the courtesy of letting them know you're not ranking them #1 any more on the off chance that your notification made them change their ROL. If it had no effect when you told them, it should have no effect when you tell them again. If they really care, and I'm betting some places do, I think it will earn you brownie points. If I were a PD probably understand that this happens on occasion, and appreciate the applicant who had the guts and honesty to tell me in the interest of fairness and truth, and I would probably rank the person higher than I did before. But maybe that's just me.

Where's aProgDirector when you need him/her?

You know that funny feeling like someone is breathing on the back of your neck while you were entering your ROL? Well, that's where I was! :eek:

I cannot tell you how many people over the years have told me that we are their #1, only to see them match into another program. I have seen this happen with US grads and IMG's. I once saw it happen to a couple who couples matched into two different programs.

Bottom line -- this happens all the time. Whether people changed their minds or were not quite truthful in the first place really doesn't matter, and it's very unlikely to matter in the end. Although the whole match process may be driving you crazy at present, this is one of the BEST things to come out of the match -- you get to be very selfish and rank programs in whatever order you want, and I never find out my program was on your list should you match with us.

Only mattered once to me so far -- interviewed a candidate who, after the interview, we were not crazy about but was good enough to make our ROL. Person told us we were their #1. They then matched into a prelim surgery spot elsewhere. Then applied back again to categorical medicine the next year, nothing in their personal statement about why this happened. Didn't get an interview back again.