About to sign my first attending contract; what are things I need to absolutely be sure are included in it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonecrusher22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to sign my first contract to be a hospitalist. It’s with a large well known medical group.

There are things that I know must be included in the contract, or that I need to be aware of.

For instance, I know that tail coverage needs to be included in the malpractice insurance that is included in the contract.

What other things are important to know in your contract and/or are things that I must have in there?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen some weird things in 1099 employment contracts (not too dissimlar to your FT offer) over a couple decades, basically deal breakers that I've been nearly always successful in having removed or properly worded.
Twice, for hospitalist moonlighting, I turned down offers to continue on based on the hold harmless language. I really wanted to keep doing that work, but the risk of assuming all hospital corporation liability, in addition to my own, regardless of the fault type (even for grossly negligent or intentional acts by corporation employees), was too great and frankly ridiculous.

You need to sit down and read the entire contract at least once. Make marks on a copy for any questions or concerns.
If you are married, he/she are going to be tied to that contract as well from a financial and liability perspective. Make sure to review with that person as well, or at least offer.

The Hold Harmless paragraph, if it exists, is the most important thing for you to review very carefully. If you are not 110% certain about it, get an attorney. It will be much less expensive to hire an attorney for a small question than have a huge liability later that may not even be covered by your malpractice scope or amounts. If the paragraph fills you with potential dread, negotiate it out. I've seen weird things for contract work that basically no one would sign if they actually read it. Maybe no one has signed it, but the legal team always puts it in the "standard contract". Geesh, the number of times someone told me they were offering a "standard contract". Yeah, right.

Other things:
Termination clauses, both directions - immediate for cause (specific reasons all outlined), and terms for termination without cause
Non compete after you leave - scope of practice, geography, and time duration
Exclusivity restrictions
Payment terms, including how late they can be. Time to your payment has to be specified, say like 30 days.
Duties, hours, mid level provider supervision, which facilities
ICU open/closed
Who runs codes.
Good idea to request a physical copy of that malpractice coverage for your records.

Remeber, you can't fully negotiate an employment contract if you can't walk away from it. That means ideally, you'd have two simultaneous offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
About to sign my first contract to be a hospitalist. It’s with a large well known medical group.

There are things that I know must be included in the contract, or that I need to be aware of.

For instance, I know that tail coverage needs to be included in the malpractice insurance that is included in the contract.

What other things are important to know in your contract and/or are things that I must have in there?

Is there a doctor's lounge with sushi in it?

More seriously, here's a question I never thought to ask: With regards to the medical group you're joining: how long (and how solid) is the group's contract with the hospital you're all working at?

(This has nothing to do with your personal contract with the medical group, and you likely have no say nor any control with the group's contract with the hospital . . . But still, it's a good question. If the medical group loses said contract, gets outbid, swallowed up by a larger corporate entity . . . you could very well be out of job or forced to relocate).

Reactions: 2 users
If it’s a large established group they probably won’t change much for you anyway…

Reactions: 1 user
Don't believe anything they say. Make them put it in writing.

Reactions: 5 users