Taking more than 4 years to graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools look down on applicants who take more than 4 years to graduate undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

why would they?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in almost 5 yrs, got into med school just fine.

I guess I'm just wondering since four years in the US seems to be the "norm"

As long as it's within reason (3-6 yrs usually) - they don't care. A strong GPA (3.7+) and MCAT (85th+ percentile) are what really matter.

I am interested in why it took an applicant longer than four years to graduate college (they're called Four-year Colleges for a reason). But as mentioned, five years with a 3.80 in Biology from a Tier 1 looks good...

Do medical schools look down on applicants who take more than 4 years to graduate undergrad?

It took me darn near 20 years, but those were two very eventful decades that included a professional career and entrepreneurial pursuits. It really depends on what you are doing with your time. If you are just taking 9 credits a term because that is the only way you can keep up your busy bar crawl schedule and still keep your GPA up, then yeah, that isn't going to go over well. If you took your time because you were accomplishing things and having things to talk about at your interview besides how well you can take standardized exams, then no one is going to think less of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Even med students will take 5 years to graduate at times... don't worry about it

I am interested in why it took an applicant longer than four years to graduate college (they're called Four-year Colleges for a reason). But as mentioned, five years with a 3.80 in Biology from a Tier 1 looks good...
People's interests change during college, it wasn't until my 3rd year that I was sure of what I wanted to major in.

Change in major, study abroad, internships, time off from school - lots of reasons

Yep. And I want to know what those reason are; only going to give you four years of medical school.

For me, taking an extra year to graduate seemed to be the best route. I feel like throughout high school and into freshman year of college, we're bombarded with all of these "3+3" programs, or "early admission" processes, and while great for some people, I believe that there is no better place for growth and (obviously) education in something you love at a university. So I ended up having three majors, in different that both interest me and prepare me for medical school.

The four years of medical school are different, more rigid, and at that point you're on a highway to becoming a physician. In your undergraduate years, though, you're exploring topics that interest you, getting involved in causes you identify with, building relationships, and etc. I see no reason to rush, or, in other words, I don't feel like >4 years is a negative thing at all. For me, 5 years was optimal: anything less would be too hurried.

I guarantee that no medical schools are going to view extended time spent in your undergraduate academics negatively. As others have mentioned, get a competitive GPA in something you love, and a good MCAT score and you're golden.

Yep. And I want to know what those reason are; only going to give you four years of medical school.

For me its genuinely that I just am figuring out both my major, my study habits, and that I actually want to be a doctor during my junior year. I feel like having an extra year would allow me to straighten things out better, get research experience, finish a major I actually like, and finish my pre-reqs.

For me its genuinely that I just am figuring out both my major, my study habits, and that I actually want to be a doctor during my junior year. I feel like having an extra year would allow me to straighten things out better, get research experience, finish a major I actually like, and finish my pre-reqs.
Do what you need to do, follow your passions and youll be fine. No need to worry bout the others

If you switch majors smaller colleges don't always offer classes every semester so it's common to graduate late.

im 22 expected to graduate at 24.

18-25 is usually normal, as some take gap years etc.

If you switch majors smaller colleges don't always offer classes every semester so it's common to graduate late.
It's not just that it isn't offered every semester. Some of these classes might only be offered spring semester of even numbered years...I've seen that in more than a fewer smaller programs

Last edited: