Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Taking more than one licensing exam

Discussion in 'Dental' started by shamrock2006, Apr 26, 2007.

1. shamrock2006

Dental Student
    Is this common? I know most states recognize the NERB or the WREB. There are some other exams out there as i'm sure you all well know. But is it common to take more than one of these exams if you arent' exactly sure where you want to practice? Or should you basically have a solid idea of where you plan to set up shop?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cyclysm

Cyclysm Member

Dental Student
    by the time people graduate they have a much better idea of where they want to go. however, it is not uncommon though for people to take two exams if they know they will want to move to a state that does not license by credentials

4. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    I see you are just applying to schools right now. By the time you take your exam almost all states will be accepting the national ADEX exam anyways. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this.

5. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs

Resident [Any Field]
    You really think that'll happen in four years? I'm hearing the opposite, esp with regard to the ADEX exam specifically.

6. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    Currently nearly 40 states will accept ADEX. We're almost there already.

Are you hearing of states backing out and deciding NOT to recognize the exam? If so I'd like to know what you've heard.

7. Cyclysm

Cyclysm Member

Dental Student
    I do not think that we will ever have all 50 states accepting one exam. I can see 47 or 48

8. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    You're probably right. California and Florida will hold out a long time.

9. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    California did temporarily join ADEX or planned to, I think I heard that majority of the states accepted, however at the last minute things didn't work out. Last year there were 43 states part of ADLEX, then NY pulled out and took on the sole PGY-1 option. Every year the exam changes and the states accepting it will change. I can forsee a single exam or a PGY-1 requirement for one year.

Once you go through one of these beasts you realize how crazy dental licensure really is.

DD

10. shabu2

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Comparing notes with my classmates who took the WREB, I took the NERB, it seemed a whole lot less stressful and easier than what I had to go through. Probably one of the most disorganized and stressful days of my life.

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    I think there are more states that currently accept the WREB than ADEX.

12. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    You can take both. I have classmates who took the NERB and the WREB. Some did it at the same time near graduation, although they had to travel to another school to take WREB since our school only offered the NERB. Some schools offer both. The majority of my class took the NERB first, and then after graduation took WREB or Flordia or took NERB again b/c they had failed. Still others took nothing at graduation because they planned to do the PGY-1 licensure pathway since we were a NY school, but then later decided to take NERB or WREB because they decided to move out of NY.

13. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    Either way, they are going to get this sorted out in the next few years and this guy won't have much to worry about.

14. iamdangermouse

Pre-Dental
    where can I find out which states accept which tests?

15. 12YearOldKid

Dentist

Things are changing and it's all going to be different for you in 5 years. There's not really much point worrying about it right now.