-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Taking Naplex Soon...any Good Books?
Started by BESTPHARMACY
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I DON'T recommend the APhA book. It's overkill. I do recommend you look over your nonprescription drugs and your calculations, everyone gets blasted on them on the exam.
Caveat: The NAPLEX is different this year. No one has taken it yet. The exam I took was easy, way too easy for the performance standard I expect out of a reasonably competent pharmacist. It's too easy for a bare minimum standard.
Caveat: The NAPLEX is different this year. No one has taken it yet. The exam I took was easy, way too easy for the performance standard I expect out of a reasonably competent pharmacist. It's too easy for a bare minimum standard.
Agree completely with lord. I used pretty much only the APhA book, and skated through the NAPLEX (finished before the scheduled break). Take a look at goofy calculations you don't do much (opthalmics, TPNs).
\BESTPHARMACY said:Hi everyone, I am going to take the Naplex soon and don't know really where to start. I am contemplating in just studying only my lecture notes. ANyone recommend any good books that would help on the Naplex? thanks 👍
Basically all you need for NAPLEX is the Lippincot & Williams Comprehensive Pharmacy Review, and the Appleton & Lange book which has like a 1000 questions. It is a pretty joke exam and having working experience in hospital helps even more. You can probably answer 15-20 q from working experience alone, while a lot of other questions are cake. The q are really obvious and not really trying to trick you. Good luck.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I soooo agree w/ the above posts. When I took it in June 2003 I studied a week (kind of) for it w/ the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review book. That is a week in my life I want back. That test was so incredibly easy that if someone actually did not pass they don't desrve to be a pharmacist, ever. 

lord999 said:Caveat: The NAPLEX is different this year. No one has taken it yet. The exam I took was easy, way too easy for the performance standard I expect out of a reasonably competent pharmacist. It's too easy for a bare minimum standard.
What makes the "new" NAPLEX different? I'm taking mine May 2005
indoflip said:What makes the "new" NAPLEX different? I'm taking mine May 2005
I'm not sure if this link will help you, but here you go: http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/NABP01/Updatedblueprintinfo.pdf
FutureRxGal said:I'm not sure if this link will help you, but here you go: http://www.nabp.net/ftpfiles/NABP01/Updatedblueprintinfo.pdf
Thanks FutureRxGal. I was also trying to figure out the differences and here they are...
Standards if taking exam before May 1, 2005: http://www.nabp.net/competency/pdfredirect.asp
Standards if taking exam after May 1, 2005: http://www.nabp.net/competency/pdfredirect2.asp
I'm fuming right now. Yeah, I knew it was bound to change sometime and its good they are stressing more clinical, blah blah.. BUT I hate knowing that I'll be in this "guinea pig" group since I plan on sitting for this in mid-May. Sure, I can take it in late April (before the change) if I really wanted but I dont want to rush myself either.
I'm taking a review course and how the heck are they supposed to give us tips if they dont even know what the new test is about? What if the new pass rate is no longer in the 90s? I was planning on studying hard anyway but there was a comfort factor there just hearing from others about how "not bad" it was. Well who the heck is going to reassure me now? What if, what if, what if... *Sigh* Just had to vent that 😳
I passed the NAPLEX rather handily, but the MPJE was the real challenge (I passed, but with a less than comfortable margin), at least the MPJE for Nevada was...don't know about elsewhere. I wouldn't classify the NAPLEX I took as a joke. I didn't feel all that good walking out of the testing center that afternoon, despite weeks of study. I used the blue APhA book, and Appleton & Lange. I didn't read every single thing in the blue book (too much, and may be a waste of time...your time is best served learning how to take this test). I took the practice tests in the Appleton & Lange CD, and used it to find my weak points, then reviewed pertinent sections in the blue book. I have a classmate who swore by the Kaplan review book...from the looks of the book it may be the one given by the Kaplan Test Prep course. As far as breakdown, I had tons of therapeutics questions, and quite a few calculation questions that mirror the ones I encountered in Appleton & Lange. I had very few 'ceutics questions, no more than 6, and even fewer kinetics questions. The kinetics type questions were all easy...typically easy calculations relating to half-life. I had all sorts of calculations...E values, BMI, creatinine clearance...memorize your equations and practice them. Know how to work with mEq's and mOsmoles. I've heard, but do not know for sure, that calculations are "weighted" a little more. Lots of cases, review your top 200 because you'll get cases where all the meds are listed as trade names. Also, take your time...I rushed through the NAPLEX, and finished with an hour to spare, so if you get through about 11 questions in a 15 minute period, you're at a good pace. Hope this helps at least one person out there! Good luck!
hey if someone tells you that the person took prenaplex three times and passed with flying colors and failed the acctual naplex what should one infer?
1. the person is dumb
2. naplex is very tough
any response appreciated
1. the person is dumb
2. naplex is very tough
any response appreciated
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 122
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 542