Taking on too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdr1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Once again I'm trying to make a decision, and hoping I could bounce my thoughts off you all and look for some insight. . .

I'll be transferring into VCU as a Junior this fall (from community college), and trying to plan my first two semesters. . . I'm planning on taking the MCAT next summer (and all I have done so far for pre-req's is one year of general chemistry) so I was thinking my next two semesters should be Bio1, Ochem1, and Physics1. . . followed by Bio2, Ochem2, and Physics2. . . then take the MCAT next summer. That would be 13 credit hours per semester, not as many as it could be, but they're some tougher classes.

I'm considering applying to the Honors College, however, to do this and schedule everything (mandatory honors classes, etc.), I'd have to take spanish one my first semester, and spanish two my second semester in addition to that pretty heavy science load.

I'd like to do the honors college, and I'd also like to get a spanish out of the way as it would line me up better if I decide I'd like to transfer to UVA in the spring to finish up my degree there (unfortunately I missed the application deadline for the fall. . . long story)

So there's the background. . . the question is. . . Am I setting myself up for failure by taking the spanish class (4 credits) in addition to everything else (making it 17 credit hours per semester, with bio, ochem, and physics. . . ). . . or is that doable (and by doable I mean with an A) for a driven student?

I know I'm driven, and I have a 4.0 thus far. . . but that's from community college, and I don't want to set myself up for failure. I don't want to undershoot when I could have done more and succeeded, but I don't want to overshoot either. I'd appreciate any insight into my situation. . . including possibly some insight into my considering transferring to UVA if you have any to give.

Thanks in advance everyone,

M

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously that depends entirely on you. It's definitely doable, but not ideal, especially since this will be your first semester at a new school. Is there any way you can take either physics or bio somewhere over the summer? That would probably help a lot. Three lab classes can be kind of a drag.

Have you talked with your adviser yet? They generally have a fairly good idea (from my experience) of what combinations will and will not work. Also do you have any more G.E.'s to take care of? Remember med school isn't going anywhere and if you have to take an semester or two to finish it's not the end of the world. Finally, if you can try to throw in a PE class just so you have a release from a purely academic schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was always advised that when you're transferring from a CC that your first semester should consist of no more than 15 units. Preferably less. In my opinion, I'd skip out on the honors program. Doing well in your science classes and on the MCAT is 1000x more important than being part of the honors program.

Last edited:
Are you taking labs with the bio and ochem classes these semesters?

I think it's doable... but I would still advise against it mainly because you are just transferring from a CC and it doesn't seem like you've taken many science classes previously if you are just taking biology I and physics I now. How did you do in general chemistry? If you've had difficulties with it then I would worry about how you'd manage taking three science courses, their labs, and a Spanish course your first semester at an university.

what draw does your honors program have? does your school have a premed committee who would look highly on being in the honors program in writing your committee letter?

if your school doesn't have a committee letter and all you're going to get from the program is priority scheduling and a stamp on your diploma, i'm not sure if it's really worth it in the end. maybe spend the extra time you might have pursuing a thesis option, which can be more distinctive. preserve your gpa above all else. you might get tangled into a lot of requirements/certain scheduling due to limited offerings of honors classes down the line that could really be a headache. often, honors classes are still open to you (or might require the professor's permission), and down the line, everyone is taking the same regular, advanced major electives/courses together.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but this is a classic question with an easy (but difficult to hear) answer.

I'll paraphrase an FAQ for MIT's undergrad I read ages ago:

Q: Is it better take difficult courses and get B's, or easier courses and get A's?
A: The majority of our competitive applicants take difficult courses and get A's.

Set yourself a higher bar, and rise to the occasion if you can.

I'll paraphrase an FAQ for MIT's undergrad I read ages ago:

Q: Is it better take difficult courses and get B's, or easier courses and get A's?
A: The majority of our competitive applicants take difficult courses and get A's.

Set yourself a higher bar, and rise to the occasion if you can.

I love this :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My fall schedule is pretty similar, Chem II w/ lab, OChem w/ lab, Physics I w/o lab, plus a couple other courses to fill graduation requirements. Should be a tough semester but like the post above said, set the bar high, challenge yourself and think how great you'll feel after you ace what you thought was going to be a disaster of a semester.

Just make sure your prepared to sacrifice some of your social life for study time and be prepared to make changes to your typical study habits. I transferred from a CC to a state school and although my first semester didn't look like yours I was able to take a dense course load, work full time and still got perfect grades.

You don't need to ask others if can do it, that's a question you need to ask yourself.