Taking online classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterwind_23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of necessity, I may need to take a course online this summer. I'm thinking of taking Cell Biology at the UC Berkeley Extension. Will this be frowned upon by medical schools?

Obviously, cell biology is not part of the prerequisites, and I'm only taking it to raise my GPA (currently just under 3.3).

Is this a good idea, or should I just skip the online class and wait until the fall to take the class in a traditional classroom setting?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have several online classes. No one has said a single thing to me one way or the other about them, but they also were not labeled as being online courses.

@familyaerospace

I hear that on the AMCAS there is a space to indicate whether the class was online when you are putting in your courses. Do you know if that is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think how it might be viewed is dependent on several factors

Reputation of the institution offering the class, ie reputable public or brick and mortar university, vs sketchy for profit online degree mill

The class, cell bio is probably ok. Bio or chemistry with lab online? Probably will raise some eyebrows.

How does it show up on the transcript? All of the online coursework I've had has been through a state school. None of them show up as online classes anywhere on my transcripts, so no one would even be able to tell.

And of course the ad com person themselves. Some might not care if a class is online, some might think online classes are all bogus.

Reactions: 1 user
@familyaerospace

I hear that on the AMCAS there is a space to indicate whether the class was online when you are putting in your courses. Do you know if that is true?

Wasn't true for the past three years which is when I filled out AMCAS. I don't know if they changed it for this year.

How about the app for DO schools?

I think how it might be viewed is dependent on several factors

Reputation of the institution offering the class, ie reputable public or brick and mortar university, vs sketchy for profit online degree mill

The class, cell bio is probably ok. Bio or chemistry with lab online? Probably will raise some eyebrows.

How does it show up on the transcript? All of the online coursework I've had has been through a state school. None of them show up as online classes anywhere on my transcripts, so no one would even be able to tell.

And of course the ad com person themselves. Some might not care if a class is online, some might think online classes are all bogus.

I'm finished with all of my prereqs and am only taking advanced bio classes to raise my GPA. I'd prefer to take the class in person, but unfortunately my circumstances won't allow for it this summer.

I would imagine the UC Berkeley Extension is pretty reputable, unless others have heard otherwise?

If I do decide to go through with the online class, it will be the first online class I've taken. Any tips on these? I obviously need to get an A, because the whole purpose of this is to raise my GPA! Any of you guys have experience with online classes?

Personally, I prefer online classes. I'm pretty self motivated and due to my cruddy work schedule, I cannot attend on-campus courses anymore.

Advice: Write down all of your due dates. Never slack or take on the excuse, "I'll get to it tomorrow". Tomorrow never comes. Keep in touch with your instructor. Most importantly, learn how you learn. Every one differs in this department.

Wish you the best!!

If I do decide to go through with the online class, it will be the first online class I've taken. Any tips on these? I obviously need to get an A, because the whole purpose of this is to raise my GPA! Any of you guys have experience with online classes?

Well my entire grad degree was online plus a good chunk of my post-bacc.

Jewels hit the nail on the head. Definitely keep an eye on deadlines because it is so easy to forget what is due when. Be motivated. Put at least the same amount of energy into online as in person.

Wasn't true for the past three years which is when I filled out AMCAS. I don't know if they changed it for this year.
Looked over the AMCAS instructions and nothing is there to indicate it has changed.

One of the things I found that personally helped me with online classes was choosing one day a week (before a deadline) to devote to each class I was taking.

I'd also advise completing assignments like tests at least a day before they're due. I've experienced technical issues before and instructors are always willing to work with you more before the deadline than after.

I'll also echo what was said before; write down those due dates. Some eLearning systems like Canvas do it for you which is EXTREMELY helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice! I'll definitely set aside a defined time each week to study/work on the class. How many hours would you say you needed to devote to an online class like Cell Bio or Genetics? I'm thinking of taking both of those classes, but I'll also be working full time, so not sure about the load.

For what it's worth, I asked a very similar question a few weeks ago and got different opinions then the ones you got here. Worth considering, although now I find myself conflicted because I'd prefer to go your route and take some online classes :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ind...d regarding online post-bacc classes.1067966/

I think their point was that 1 or 2 online classes are ok, but more than that can be damaging. So sounds like you'd be fine with those two.

Thanks all for the advice! I'll definitely set aside a defined time each week to study/work on the class. How many hours would you say you needed to devote to an online class like Cell Bio or Genetics? I'm thinking of taking both of those classes, but I'll also be working full time, so not sure about the load.

I've always been of the opinion at least 10-12 hours per 3 credit class per week. I got into that habit in graduate school when I was taking grad level sciences. Has yet to fail me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking as a former adcom, I would advise that you not do your med school prereqs online, and especially not your prereq labs. There is just no substitute for physically going into a bio, chem, or physics lab if you want to truly learn those sciences, and virtual experiments aren't going to give you that same experience. But for a non-required cell bio class lecture course? Knock yourself out. As the others have already said, just make sure you keep on top of your assignments and get an A. And be honest with yourself: if you know that you're not a self-motivated kind of person who can set a schedule and stick to it, online learning may not be the best option for you.

I've never taken a 100% online class outside of test prep courses, but I'm thinking of trying it. I'm looking at doing a medical Spanish class online next month if the live course I want to do doesn't work out. Plus I'll be eligible to take two free classes per semester as one of my faculty benefits, which I assume applies to online classes too. Heck, maybe I'll get another MS. :D

Definitely pay attention to deadlines. And potential technical issues. And combinations of the two... Kinda like my current school, deadlines are often 11:59 p.m. sunday night. But hey, they update the websites on campus Sunday evenings, so definitely submit stuff early if possible.

I've had online classes that ranged from awesome and very well thought out to extremely poorly executed afterthoughts to just score the school more money. If you have any way to get info about how well the class is set up from other people who've taken it, that's your best bet.

Amount of time varies by class, workload, and you. check the syllabus to try and get some idea.

:p

Speaking as a former adcom, I would advise that you not do your med school prereqs online, and especially not your prereq labs. There is just no substitute for physically going into a bio, chem, or physics lab if you want to truly learn those sciences, and virtual experiments aren't going to give you that same experience. But for a non-required cell bio class lecture course? Knock yourself out. As the others have already said, just make sure you keep on top of your assignments and get an A. And be honest with yourself: if you know that you're not a self-motivated kind of person who can set a schedule and stick to it, online learning may not be the best option for you.

I've never taken a 100% online class outside of test prep courses, but I'm thinking of trying it. I'm looking at doing a medical Spanish class online next month if the live course I want to do doesn't work out. Plus I'll be eligible to take two free classes per semester as one of my faculty benefits, which I assume applies to online classes too. Heck, maybe I'll get another MS. :D

Speaking as a former adcom, I would advise that you not do your med school prereqs online, and especially not your prereq labs. There is just no substitute for physically going into a bio, chem, or physics lab if you want to truly learn those sciences, and virtual experiments aren't going to give you that same experience.

I've already have about half of my pre-meds done in class but I honestly cannot get to class with my work schedule. I work a rotating schedule where I do not get the same days off every week. I also work the overnight shift at the ER, which between commuting and my job, it's 15 hours each work day. I cannot go to class.

As a former adcom, wouldn't you look at my situation slightly different since I am not traditional and have a different set of circumstances? There's nothing I can do about this. It sucks.

I've already have about half of my pre-meds done in class but I honestly cannot get to class with my work schedule. I work a rotating schedule where I do not get the same days off every week. I also work the overnight shift at the ER, which between commuting and my job, it's 15 hours each work day. I cannot go to class.

As a former adcom, wouldn't you look at my situation slightly different since I am not traditional and have a different set of circumstances? There's nothing I can do about this. It sucks.
It does suck, and the answer is that some people will give you a break and some won't. But you can only do what you can do. Just make sure you apply broadly.

Hi, I have a question to kind of piggy back on the OP's.
I took chemistry online this semester, but the Lab was on campus. So how does that factor in? Will I still have to put online? I actually ended up attending my lab instructor's lectures, while still technically enrolled in the online class. I'm not intending to take anything else online and I feel since I attended the lecture and the lab was in person, I can put it as an on campus class once I start applying?

Will I still have to put online? I actually ended up attending my lab instructor's lectures, while still technically enrolled in the online class. I'm not intending to take anything else online and I feel since I attended the lecture and the lab was in person, I can put it as an on campus class once I start applying?

You might want to read the comments that were made.

There is no place to label it as online or traditional.

Hi,
This is an EXTREMELY useful thread for me as I am currently in the military and am about to be PCS'd to Stuttgart, Germany in August 2014. I am brand new in partaking most of my DO and/or PA school pre-reqs (thus far I have completed Medical Terminology and Spanish for Healthcare Providers which are pre-reqs for most Cali PA schools and are considered an asset by a few DO schools). My dilemma is: I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BRICK-AND-MORTAR SCHOOLS I WILL HAVE ACCESS TO IN GERMANY!

I know there is a UMUC and a Univ of Oregon campus in Stuttgart, but not sure whether they offer science classes w/labs; also, most of the German universities accept either European/German citizens, or students who speak at least intermediate-level German (I'm pure Umurican and I do not speak German). This puts me in a pickle with "how to finish up my pre-reqs" while serving this great nation overseas? And that is where on-line classes were suggested as a viable option. I thought I had the solution, however, after reading this thread and scouring the PA school forum for "online pre-reqs" and "schools accepting pre-reqs attained overseas" I'm feeling pretty alarmed that I may never be able to apply to DO or PA school (I'm currently 35, married, no children, going to live in GE for the next 3-4 years… i don't want to wait 'til I come back to start my pre-reqs).

Soooooo:
1. Has anyone been stationed in Stuttgart and have knowledge of (a) college/univ that I may apply/get accepted to in order to take my science classes with lab?
2. Someone PLEASE share the list of online schools which do NOT differentiate a course as having been taken "online" vs. "taken in a brick-and-mortar" school!!! is UC Berkely's extension pgm one of those schools?

thank you all for this thread!

Soooooo:
1. Has anyone been stationed in Stuttgart and have knowledge of (a) college/univ that I may apply/get accepted to in order to take my science classes with lab?
2. Someone PLEASE share the list of online schools which do NOT differentiate a course as having been taken "online" vs. "taken in a brick-and-mortar" school!!! is UC Berkely's extension pgm one of those schools?

There are plenty of soldiers who will swap their conus assignment with yours. I doubt you will have much options oversea for your science prereqs. Those courses offered at the Ed center will mainly be hummanity classes.

Hi,
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BRICK-AND-MORTAR SCHOOLS I WILL HAVE ACCESS TO IN GERMANY!

I was stationed in Germany years ago (BTW: I'd return on Tuesday if I could!! You'll love it!!).

They had several on-base classes but it really depends on where exactly you are stationed. Due to my work schedule, I'm looking at Dallas County College online for my premeds. I cannot attend class and this would be the only way I actually finish. You can have your commander, XO, OIC, whomever, proctor for you. Central Texas College has plenty of math courses you can do online as well and I believe the proctoring is the same. They're a huge military-friendly school.

Enjoy Germany!! Go to the Oktoberfest!! I went three years in a row and it's so cool!!

oh wow… so I'm kinda' screwed. I can't switch w/anyone because this PCS has been a long time coming and I don't have a choice in the matter. How do DO schools view pre-reqs/classes taken online? will I not be a potential candidate if I take online classes? Does anyone know which schools offer online classes… without being identified as "online" on our transcript?

oh wow… so I'm kinda' screwed. I can't switch w/anyone because this PCS has been a long time coming and I don't have a choice in the matter. How do DO schools view pre-reqs/classes taken online? will I not be a potential candidate if I take online classes? Does anyone know which schools offer online classes… without being identified as "online" on our transcript?

Well here are a few : Georgia PerimeterCollege, Broward College, Georgia State, University of North Dakota. I've attended three of the four. At GPC, I took many of my pre-reqs at and some were online. UND is where I did my MS and I know they offer online prereqs as I was considering doing them there but the cost killed me.

Very helpful thread so far. I am coincidentally also considering taking online classes through the Berkley extension program. Here is a very simple question: does anyone know if it would be easier to take cell bio or genetics through this program? Just looking for any helpful insights before I make the decision. Note: this is not to fulfill a prerequisite, I've got those covered. Thanks :)

By the way, I am borrowing this account from a med student; I'm actually pre-med. (in case you're wondering about the "medical student" status for SDN)