Continue taking classes after post-bacc completion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member2223

Pondering non-trad...
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a 2 year post-bacc at 52 credits and will be finished this Summer. I'll be taking the MCAT this September, doing research, and getting more clinical / volunteering hours until I apply next year.

I really enjoyed my post-bacc and am a little sad that it's coming to an end. I am fortunate to have maintained all As in my courses, which include all the pre-reqs and extras (Genetics, Cell Bio, and Stats). If I do get into medical school after the first cycle, that still leaves me with over 2.5 years out of school before matriculating. I do wish to continue learning and keeping my mind active during this time, and I had a few courses that I wanted to take during my post-bacc but couldn't fit in, including Immunology, Microbiology, and Bacterial Genetics.

Would it even be worth it to take these courses outside of my post-bacc timeline during those gap years? I'm concerned that:
(1) it would detract from my post-bacc by extending it over a much longer timeframe, possibly detracting from any perceived rigor? We're talking 1 class a semester at this point
(2) the risk-reward ratio might not be there. Although I think I can do well, this could potentially put my 4.0 in jeopardy

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't taken a single class in four years when I applied to medical school. While the first semester was a bit of a jolt to go from zero to one-hundred studying, I did not perceive my time away from class as a disadvantage. My work experience in the interim proved far more valuable to me (and was discussed more in my interview than grades, MCAT, research, etc). Note, I did not do clinical work, worked as a school-teacher and did volunteer at a clinic once per month. The interview committee appreciated the "life experience." As far as the actual benefit of the classes, it was so niche that even my colleagues who went straight from undergraduate school to medical school needed to complete adjust their study strategy so I did not feel disadvantaged. When it came time to match, my work experience was again the most talked about portion of the interview and now, years later, is still a topic of frequent discussion for attending locums jobs.

If you get in the first cycle, enjoy some academic downtime and get some travel in or some work experience of any kind. If not, try to find an opportunity to grow yourself besides for class such as a job that you can enjoy.