Taking Pass/Fail for Orgo Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arizona1738

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I hope everyone's school is going well! I had a question regarding how adcoms/med schools in general view courses that one takes P/F and about taking Orgo I Lab P/F?

So, I am taking an advanced organic chemistry I course and the lecture is a separate amount of credits and the lab is also a separate amount of credits. Also, you get a letter grade for BOTH courses; there is no overlap in terms of grading. However, I have a very horrible and unfair professor for Lab (from what I've heard and experienced thus far but I have a few weeks to go until the P/F Deadline to get a full impression), and the lab course is already extremely hard to do well in according to literally everyone that I have talked to who have taken the lab course before (even those with the easier professors!). The lab is a separate 2 credits and getting an A in it really won't affect my GPA much because it's only 2 credits (this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO!). However, getting a B+ or below (which most people get) will affect my GPA a good amount in lowering it (really dk how gpa works but thats beyond me haha). I still have a few weeks until the P/F Deadline and will have some grades by then to help me make my decision, but, should I just take the Lab as P/F since it really can only do my gpa harm and not really help it much? I know many medical schools require Orgo with lab for at least one semester and next semester I will definitely be taking orgo with lab (Orgo II Lab)!

Also, I had two big questions in addition to the excerpt above (sorry if this is a long post I'm just really on the fence!):

1) Will Medical Schools look down on me, question me, or not like it that I took the lab portion of Orgo I as P/F if it is the only course that I have as P/F on my transcript?
2) Are there any schools that require its matriculants to have completed TWO organic chemistry labs? If so, which are these and would taking it Pass/Fail satisfy the taking both orgos w/ lab requirement?

I really appreciate all the advice I can get on this matter as I only have a few weeks to decide!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope everyone's school is going well! I had a question regarding how adcoms/med schools in general view courses that one takes P/F and about taking Orgo I Lab P/F?

So, I am taking an advanced organic chemistry I course and the lecture is a separate amount of credits and the lab is also a separate amount of credits. Also, you get a letter grade for BOTH courses; there is no overlap in terms of grading. However, I have a very horrible and unfair professor for Lab (from what I've heard and experienced thus far but I have a few weeks to go until the P/F Deadline to get a full impression), and the lab course is already extremely hard to do well in according to literally everyone that I have talked to who have taken the lab course before (even those with the easier professors!). The lab is a separate 2 credits and getting an A in it really won't affect my GPA much because it's only 2 credits (this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO!). However, getting a B+ or below (which most people get) will affect my GPA a good amount in lowering it (really dk how gpa works but thats beyond me haha). I still have a few weeks until the P/F Deadline and will have some grades by then to help me make my decision, but, should I just take the Lab as P/F since it really can only do my gpa harm and not really help it much? I know many medical schools require Orgo with lab for at least one semester and next semester I will definitely be taking orgo with lab (Orgo II Lab)!

Also, I had two big questions in addition to the excerpt above (sorry if this is a long post I'm just really on the fence!):

1) Will Medical Schools look down on me, question me, or not like it that I took the lab portion of Orgo I as P/F if it is the only course that I have as P/F on my transcript?
2) Are there any schools that require its matriculants to have completed TWO organic chemistry labs? If so, which are these and would taking it Pass/Fail satisfy the taking both orgos w/ lab requirement?

I really appreciate all the advice I can get on this matter as I only have a few weeks to decide!
1) Yes. Taking prerequisites P/F doesn't meet med school expectations.

2) Buy a copy of the MSAR, which will tell you exactly what each school expects, or view individual school websites for their requirements, or see the link included below for an older survey of many med school requirements (but not all of them). There are those that require a year of OChem with lab(s). Some allow the substitution of the second half of OChem with Biochem. And there are those that don't have a requirement, but expect you to prove competency via the MCAT. So as not to limit the schools you can apply to, if you're convinced you'll get a lab grade lower than a B, you might consider dropping the lab and taking it later with another instructor or at another school.

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/sites/dsa/files/handbooks/Medical School Requirements FINAL.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Take it for a letter grade, if you want it to count as a pre-req. Take it pass/fail if you want to take it again for a letter grade and explain to adcoms why you took organic lab twice. Also take statistics. It is a prereq at most schools and will help you understand your GPA :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it for a letter grade, if you want it to count as a pre-req. Take it pass/fail if you want to take it again for a letter grade and explain to adcoms why you took organic lab twice. Also take statistics. It is a prereq at most schools and will help you understand your GPA :)

One question though, I just need to take statistics BEFORE graduating right? Because it won't fit into my schedule this year so Senior Year is the only chance I am going to get to take it. :/

One question though, I just need to take statistics BEFORE graduating right? Because it won't fit into my schedule this year so Senior Year is the only chance I am going to get to take it. :/
You just need to complete it before matriculation, not before applying. And not necessarily before graduation.

GPA is beyond you? I think you need to work on this first.

Reactions: 2 users
GPA is beyond you? I think you need to work on this first.

Sorry I never knew exactly how it worked! You're right though haha, I'm gonna learn how it works (know I should have before)! Thanks for the slap in the face though - I needed it!