taking PE late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jinxapotato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I was kinda short on cash (because my bank messed up my loan earlier this year) when everyone was scheduling their COMLEX 2 PE. So, I registered late ended up with a date in mid-September, and despite multiple effort to move it earlier, I can't seem to find a spot. I feel pretty good about the exam as I've never failed an OSCE in school (and most of the time did quite well), so I am pretty certain I can pass in one shot.

I am just worried if this would affect my ability to receive interviews for residency , which opens September 1st, and my score won't be released till October.. So when I submit my application, I will have only my Step 1, COMLEX 1, Step 2 CK, COMLEX 2 CE.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take the PE until the first week of September and the results didn't come out until the 31st of October. I had both AOA and ACGME interview invites without it. The bigger concern would be failing it and the time it takes to retake and get the results back. We had 2 in my class that were sure things to pass, failed twice and lost their residency spots due to it.

Reactions: 1 users
@CajunMedic is spot on. Taking it late is fine, as long as you have a passing score on record by rank list time. You’ll only run into trouble if, god forbid, you fail it, and don’t manage to retake and pass in time to get ranked.

My school recommends taking the PE early, but it seems like a lot of MD schools tell people to take the CS in fall of fourth year, so I don’t think there’s a right answer. You should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take the PE until the first week of September and the results didn't come out until the 31st of October. I had both AOA and ACGME interview invites without it. The bigger concern would be failing it and the time it takes to retake and get the results back. We had 2 in my class that were sure things to pass, failed twice and lost their residency spots due to it.
@CajunMedic is spot on. Taking it late is fine, as long as you have a passing score on record by rank list time. You’ll only run into trouble if, god forbid, you fail it, and don’t manage to retake and pass in time to get ranked.

My school recommends taking the PE early, but it seems like a lot of MD schools tell people to take the CS in fall of fourth year, so I don’t think there’s a right answer. You should be fine.

Thank you both for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! So I was kinda short on cash (because my bank messed up my loan earlier this year) when everyone was scheduling their COMLEX 2 PE. So, I registered late ended up with a date in mid-September, and despite multiple effort to move it earlier, I can't seem to find a spot. I feel pretty good about the exam as I've never failed an OSCE in school (and most of the time did quite well), so I am pretty certain I can pass in one shot.

I am just worried if this would affect my ability to receive interviews for residency , which opens September 1st, and my score won't be released till October.. So when I submit my application, I will have only my Step 1, COMLEX 1, Step 2 CK, COMLEX 2 CE.

Thank you for your help!

September is fine. Based on the people I’ve seen fail CS I recommend everyone take early enough so they can retake it and get a passing score before rank-order deadline. For you, you’ll likely get your score in November/December and then if that’s no good, you’ll have the opportunity to retake and probably receive a second score around January/early February.

This assumes PE reports with the same schedule as CS.

Completely agree with this.

OP, I would also recommend that if you really want to take it earlier, keep checking for spots on the website. You'll often have spots open up the week of or a couple weeks before. They usually opened up between 9-11 am EST on Wed/Thurs from what I vaguely remember, but they can anytime.

It’s more of a nuisance than anything to take it late. You can run into the time when you should be auditioning for interviewing. Like others have stated above, just do your best to take it so that if you were to fail, you have time to retake it and get a pass.

I took mine in the late spring, and it was wonderful to have it done and out-of-the-way

It’s more of a nuisance than anything to take it late. You can run into the time when you should be auditioning for interviewing. Like others have stated above, just do your best to take it so that if you were to fail, you have time to retake it and get a pass.

I took mine in the late spring, and it was wonderful to have it done and out-of-the-way
Yeah I totally would take it earlier, actually the school was chasing after me because I didn't schedule PE in time, little did they know I had exactly 841$ in my bank account and I got rent to pay haha T.T

EDIT: woot I just took a look and actually found a end of July spot! Thank you guys!

Last edited:
anyone applying this year that feel like they didn't get any interviews because they didn't have their COMLEX 2 PE score back in time?