This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunter the Bean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently a 2nd year on the pre-med track, and I am in the midst of a dilemma.

I am finishing up Biology 2 and General Chemistry 2 this semester and am planning on taking Organic Chemistry 1 next semester (Spring 2019). I want to have all my pre-requisites completed by Spring 2020, but I have no idea when to take Physics 1 and 2. I was thinking of taking one of the two over the summer, and the other with one of the Organic Chemistry courses. If I take Physics 1 during the Summer C 2019 semester, I would need to take Physics 2 with Organic Chemistry 2 in Fall 2019; on the other hand, if I take Physics 2 over the summer term, I would need to take Physics 1 and Organic Chemistry 1 together in Spring 2019. Whichever semester I end up not taking Physics, I would probably take Microbiology and some life science electives. I could also take Physics 1 over Summer C 2019, and then Physics 2 with Biochemistry in Spring 2020.

Can anyone give me advice on this difficult situation? Has anyone pulled off taking physics with organic chemistry? I don't want to take on more than I can chew, but I feel like it's the only way I can graduate a little early and use my senior year as a sort of gap year (since I'll be done with pre-requisites, but still maybe completing my degree or minor/doing research) for medical school applications.

Thank you so much for any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think physics I and Orgo I should be doable. I did that and it was roUgh but if you can manage your time well, you should be good. Try to take some easier courses with thy courseload. Is it college physics? Or calc based physics?

I think physics I and Orgo I should be doable. I did that and it was roUgh but if you can manage your time well, you should be good. Try to take some easier courses with thy courseload. Is it college physics? Or calc based physics?

I am taking college physics without calc (because I have only taken Calc 1, I don't have the pre-requisites for physics with calc). I was also hoping to take American sign language (5 credits) along with the two, so I would just be taking the three courses and physics 1 lab (orgo 1 does not have a lab).

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be doable, as long as you understand the work you will need to put in and plan accordingly. Also it is okay if need to take more time to do your pre reqs. These classes are vital for your science gpa so it is important to do well in the them to be a strong candidate. You don’t have to take classes on someone else’s schedule, so do what you are comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 user
I am taking college physics without calc (because I have only taken Calc 1, I don't have the pre-requisites for physics with calc). I was also hoping to take American sign language (5 credits) along with the two, so I would just be taking the three courses and physics 1 lab (orgo 1 does not have a lab).

I think that should be doable. Stay on top of your stuff ALL the time; don't get behind. Both classes will require a vast amount of practice every night. I think you should be good. IDK about sign language though but if you think you can manage it then go for it. The physics labs can be a pain but overall this looks like a doable course load. This way, you can take one of the 2's (Orgo II or Physics II) by themselves and not have to do them both at the same time...

In my 2nd year, my first semester consisted of Organic I + lab, Calc-based Physics I + lab, and Calc II together. Second semester I took Organic II + lab, Calc-based Physics II + lab, and Calc III together. I literally psyched myself out so much because I wasn't sure how I would handle it. It was definitely doable, if you go in with the right mindset, I think it is incredibly valuable. A healthy dose of fear that I wouldn't be able to do it all forced me to revise my study habits (which used to be crap) and become better at time management. I learned so much that year about hard work, perseverance, and how to be a productive student.
So, will it be a walk in the park? Probably not. Should you go for it? As long as you aren't a lazy bum (which you don't seem like lol), I'd say yes. Doing both classes at the same time really freed up my schedule later for more advanced classes for my major, so I have no regrets. Good luck with your decision!

Summer classes are the worst, don't do it. Taking them both at the same time during the spring should be fine. OChem isn't that bad.

Perfectly fine to take physics and organic chemistry together. Avoid summer courses.

Reactions: 1 users
I took physics, organic, cellbio/genetics with other classes and did fine

This is an average schedule. You should be fine.

Just curious about what you guys think... General Physics is more difficult than College Physics right? At least that's how it is at my school...

This is a loaded question and not many will have taken both.
College physics is technically the "lighter" physics and will still prep you for the MCAT equally as general.
General is going to incorporate calculus into the equations although some people (I'm assuming those math oriented) enjoy general.

This is a loaded question and not many will have taken both.
College physics is technically the "lighter" physics and will still prep you for the MCAT equally as general.
General is going to incorporate calculus into the equations although some people (I'm assuming those math oriented) enjoy general.

Yeah it makes sense. I took college personally, but I've had experience with calc based Physics through AP Physics... Both were hard but good classes. LOL College Physics I was a breeze after AP Physics xD

I took them together, along with an upper div bio course, during 2 different semesters and was okay. Each class also had an associated lab. So three science classes + 3 labs. Just stay on top of everything.

I would advise against taking physics in the summer. I had a dual major and took physics over the summer to get my major requirements and pre med requirements in. Physics was always my favorite class and that is why I chose to take it over the summer. Med schools want to see how you respond to a challenging course load. If they see required courses taken alone over the summer, they think you are avoiding a challenging semester. I was asked about taking physics at every interview I attended. I would not want to raise any red flags on my application if I applied today. Good luck and best wishes!

I took a 400 and 300 level physics class, calc 3 and orgo 1. Orgo 1 took a backseat and i got an A-. Ended with 3.8 for the semester. It's doable, just work hard. It will put hair on your chest

I've taken at least 3 science classes +/maybe 1 lab and 1 humanities class each semester. I think you'll be fine. Physics and orgo aren't that bad of a combo.