Taking Physics Last Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalrie

TAMU c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would there be any downside to taking Physics II the last semester of senior year? Physics I is the one pre-req I've struggled with (not to mention hated) and I feel like if I left the second semester to a time when the grade won't matter as much (since transcripts will have already been sent out) I won't be as stressed about the grade. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in now? The downfall of this plan is if you have to reapply, it will lower your last 45 credit GPA. Or it won't leave you the time to retake it if you really need to.

But I do know people that left difficult prereqs until their last spring and got away with it. It depends on what your grades are like now and if you need to really bust out a great last 45.

If you're really struggling with physics, I'd recommend finding a tutor if you're able. It sucks, yes, but you need to do whatever you can to do well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just as a matter of outlook, I think that rather than *planning to suck* (which is kinda implied in the "since transcripts will have already been sent out"), why not figure out why it was a struggle and make a plan to deal with it?

That's going to generally work better than trying to game things so that it doesn't matter. You're going to hit things like that in vet school, but you won't have the option to do anything but confront them head-on. So I'd take Caia's advice and think about a tutor or other study changes or whatever to do better. You might find it less stressful to deal with it, kick its butt, and get it out of the way, freeing you up to enjoy classes that are more fun for you rather than dreading physics coming down the pipe.

All of that said .... no, there's not much downside other than what Caia mentioned. And one grade shouldn't be impacting your GPA *too* much, anyway. So if you think that's the best approach for you to take - sure, delay it until apps have gone out and then tack it on after the fact.

As an aside, it was my last pre-req. Wasn't intentional, though. Was just based on when things were offered at times I could take them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took that method with biochem and I think it made it more stressful, because I was already accepted and everything rode on things working out. There were no second chances. I had to take the final (proctored, with special permission) in the hospital the day after surgery because of the deadline of transcripts being due for vet school, I couldn't wait a week to get out of the hospital for the final. So, yes, it was more stressful than had it been done before. Had the professor not been willing to work with me, I wouldn't have gone to vet school in the fall.

Like Fly Racing mentioned, you do have to consider the risk of doing poorly in the class and needing to retake it, but not being able to. Most schools require at least a C in every pre-req, and require your pre-reqs to be done the spring before you matriculate (so re-taking it in the summer wouldn't be an option). Also schools do request your spring transcripts if you're accepted, and they could rescind your offer of admission if you failed a pre-req or your GPA dropped below their requirements. Maybe they would defer your admission for a year, maybe you'd have to apply again, I'm not sure. But I can't even imagine how much either option would suck. :(

But like Caia and LIS said, try to do as well in it as you can regardless of when you take it.

I guess it depends on your definition of "struggle". If you can make a B in it, even though you have to bust your butt, that's fine. If you're struggling to just pass the class...a bit more dangerous.

Taking it late, there's no pressure to do well in a course that you expect to be difficult. On the other hand, if it's too difficult, you'll have the worry of not getting that C- or whatever a potential vet school requires for you to keep your hypothetical acceptance. I think both are stressful, but probably the second one more so, at least in my opinion.

I did that and ended up getting an A (karma haha) and ended up begging all the schools im applying to let me resend my transcripts because it boosted my last 45 gpa. :p Kansas and Wisconsin let me do that.

Do note that some schools (Florida and Iowa for sure) require you send them you fall spring updated transcripts before they make a last decision. For me, this (fall) is my last semester so leaving Biochem and Microbio for last did absolutely nothing for those two schools since they're gonna see the grades anyway.

Also, physics 2 is much more straight forward than physics 1. Most of the material is just "plug and chug" and the hardest part is remembering which equation to use for what. I fought my butt off for a B- in physics 1 and snoozed my way to an A in physics 2. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ahhhh ya'll are making the decision so tough. Ya'll make some really good points, though. I think I'm leaning toward taking it last semester since my GPA is pretty high. I would still definitely work hard in it, but I wouldn't have to stress as much about the grade...I'm also only applying to Texas A&M and they don't look at last semester grades.

Really? Even if you take a pre-req your last semester? That's surprising.
Acceptances are given before the spring semester concludes (and sometimes before the fall semester concludes), meaning those grades cannot be calculated in the decision of interview and acceptance. The acceptance is with the condition that remaining prereqs are completed with a specific grade (usually C or higher, but some say "maintain current GPA" as well).

Acceptances are given before the spring semester concludes (and sometimes before the fall semester concludes), meaning those grades cannot be calculated in the decision of interview and acceptance. The acceptance is with the condition that remaining prereqs are completed with a specific grade (usually C or higher, but some say "maintain current GPA" as well).
I'm well aware of that, but the OP made it sound like Texas A&M doesn't care about spring semester grades at all.

Pretty sure this is right. I'm not concerned with making a C, I was more worried about struggling for that A/B. I'm sure they care that you get a C or higher in all pre-reqs.

Pretty sure this is right. I'm not concerned with making a C, I was more worried about struggling for that A/B. I'm sure they care that you get a C or higher in all pre-reqs.
Well in that case, then yeah, no harm in putting it off.

I waited to take physics II until the last semester and it was hell. I didn't have great grades to begin with and I thought that taking it the last semester would be better - just incase I got a C. Well I can tell you that it was the most stressful time of my life! I was already accepted to a vet school and it was all riding on this one class. I even told my professor that I had to get a C OR ELSE! I was pretty much in his office everyday. I ended up getting a B, but it took years off my life! If you have a high GPA I would take it before the last semester. You don't want to wait to take it, get accepted, and then get rejected in the chance that you don't make that C. That would be the worst IMO.