Taking pre-optometry prerequisites at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesept2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Spanish major at UCI in California. I was told by my counselor that I can take pre-optometry prerequisites classes at any community college in which the classes are transferable. If this is true, would it look bad if I do so at a local CC (instead at a 4-year university) while obtaining a B.A. in Spanish? In other words, would it look lazy or taking the easy way out?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are really going to a 2-year college first, and then transfering to a bigger university, then I say no problem.

But if you are at a 4-year institution, and from your transcript if it looks as if you are "dodging" from taking pre-req classes at that 4-year institute, then u may be asked why.

But do what is best for you.. If you do take the pre-req's at a CC, make sure you get nothing but A's... or you could potentially be opening ??'s to ur application, even though some CC classes can be just as tough as 4-year Univ.

I am currently a Spanish major at UCI in California. I was told by my counselor that I can take pre-optometry prerequisites classes at any community college in which the classes are transferable. If this is true, would it look bad if I do so at a local CC (instead at a 4-year university) while obtaining a B.A. in Spanish? In other words, would it look lazy or taking the easy way out?

This question seems to come up a couple of times a month.

This is the answer:

In general, a 4 year university is ideal. However, most, if not all schools will accept at least some pre-req credits from community colleges. Most, if not all schools will also frown if the majority of the pre-req courses are done at community colleges.

Yes, there are surely some people out there who did all their pre-reqs at CC and got a great score on the OAT and got admitted but those are few and far between.

So what you need to do is CALL THE SCHOOLS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO AND ASK THEM THEIR POLICIES AND PHILOSOPHIES ON THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we sticky that please?

Members don't see this ad :)

Talking to advisors from my 4 year univ. and from optometry schools, taking ALL your pre-reqs at a CC is not that great when you could have taken at a 4 year. A few classes at CC are not going to make or break your application as well because some classes are not available.

In my case, I have to re-take one class and the optometry school adviser said that taking it at a CC won't take my application straight to the rejection pile. My 4 year uni. adviser said that retaking classes should be at the same place and going to a CC and getting a better grade is not that great.

I agree with others. Ask optometry school advisers! Good luck! :)

Keep in mind, there's a good chance your CC does not offer ALL the prereq classes that you need. For example, I want to retake a biochemistry course but my local CC does not offer it. It's my impression that CC's don't offer many "upper division" courses.

If I were you, I would take as many classes as possible at UCI, especially since you're already paying the tuition for it.

I understand why everyone says that you should take your classes at a 4 year university. I also understand that schools look better at your application when you take most/all your pre-reqs at a 4 year university.

However, these are different times and it is shameful when classes at cc are looked down upon or not thought to be as hard. I went to cc and because of the area I live in I have had a few professors who taught classes at both cc and Stanford! My English and econ teacher taught my class at cc and Stanford...same syllabus! Also, in all my science classes I have had 100% PhD professors...many students in my ochem class are taking it as a refresher or re-taking it altogether. All these have come from the UC's....UC Davis, Berkeley, LA, Irvine...you name it...and all have said it is harder in our cc class than the ochem class they took at their UC. Also, we are taught by our professors (I would like to reiterate all PhD's) and not TA's. The cc professors, especially in science, do not have lower standards than those at 4 year universities. Yes, some classes are easier....BUT those are the remedial classes, not any of the classes that are pre-reqs. Also, in my area the only pre-req class not offered at cc is biochemistry. However, there are several cc in the LA area that do offer biochemistry. Ochem is considered an upper division course and it is offered at all the cc's.

To answer the original post, take whatever classes you can while at UC Irvine as far as pre-reqs. If you will be done with your major before you finish all the pre-reqs save your money and go to a cc. You probably live near one of the cc's that even offer biochemistry.

It is expensive to get an education, and if you can take the same class at a cc for a fraction of the price at a 4 year university....why not? You are smarter if you do. Unfortunately the classes taken at cc are looked down upon. I feel a lot of the people who say cc class pre-reqs do not look as good have not attended cc. I may be saying this because I live in California...and there are some top notch cc's in this area. Society really needs to not look down so much at cc. The idea of people looking down on cc reminds of the whole debate with public vs. private high school. It all depends on the individual. The same individual can sink or swim in either environment.

I took all of my prereq's from a CC. Interviewed with 3 Opt. schools and one discounted my gpa for attending CC. Got accepted by 2 of the schools & my OAT scores were quite good. You should be ok but may need higher OAT scores.

Did have a BS degree from Fls. State but that was about 10 years earlier. For what it is worth I found the courses at the CC of much greater value that most of those taken at FSU. Small classes, all the teachers had a PhD., got to ask lots of questions, lots of interaction with professor and students, a great experience. True many of the 19 year olds did poorly but they learned the hard way college means you have to study & apply yourself. Us older adult students did better, probably cause we were paying the tuition and had more motivation.