Taking Pre-Pharmacy Reqs at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TenleyC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation, I am 19 years old and about to have my first child in a couple weeks. I enrolled at the local community college for pre-pharmacy studies for the fall semester this year. I am starting out only part time because of my child and I work full-time and wanted to start in easy so I wouldn't end up failing my classes. I know it will take me a bit longer than most to finish my pre-reqs, but the schedule is really flexible at the CC and it has pretty decent standards for just being a CC, and with my financial aid I can afford it. If I get a high GPA will I have any problems being accepted into a pharmacy school? Or should I get my bachelors after finishing at the CC?
I plan on University of Oklahoma school of Pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my situation, I am 19 years old and about to have my first child in a couple weeks. I enrolled at the local community college for pre-pharmacy studies for the fall semester this year. I am starting out only part time because of my child and I work full-time and wanted to start in easy so I wouldn't end up failing my classes. I know it will take me a bit longer than most to finish my pre-reqs, but the schedule is really flexible at the CC and it has pretty decent standards for just being a CC, and with my financial aid I can afford it. If I get a high GPA will I have any problems being accepted into a pharmacy school? Or should I get my bachelors after finishing at the CC?

That's the exact same situation I was in when I was 19, and I'm now a P3 at OU. You won't have any problems with a high GPA.

Thank you! That's great encouragement. :]

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to note is that a P3 now was entering school between 3 and 4 years ago, when demand was slightly higher and saturation was much lower...

That's true and does OU require a BA? There's no harm in completing your pre-req's at a cc and then moving onto a 4 year school. You should still be able to get financial aid at a 4 year school too. Also, getting a BA will give you more flexibility and cushion to apply to other schools as a backup to OU. Also, getting your BA is a good safety just in case you decide you don't want to go to pharmacy school later on, you'll still have options versus just having a bunch of pre-req courses.

I don't know if OU weighs the CC courses as less than other schools in terms of making you a competitive applicant or not, you should look into that.

best of luck to you! :luck:

I agree with Fighton.

Nothing is inherently wrong with CC pre-requisites, hell I took a few.

But, what if you DONT get into school after a couple years of trying? You'll need to provide for your family, and a 4 year degree will go really far in allowing you that latitude, especially if it's in a science (It prolly will be).

Then you could entertain radiological tech, nurse programs, CLS, etc... or other lab tech. type jobs. Still good $, and there your BS will be worth its weight in gold. Plus it enables you, in 10 years or so, to say hey, I want an MS... take the GMAT/GRE and voila...

I agree with Fighton.

Nothing is inherently wrong with CC pre-requisites, hell I took a few.

But, what if you DONT get into school after a couple years of trying? You'll need to provide for your family, and a 4 year degree will go really far in allowing you that latitude, especially if it's in a science (It probably will be).

Then you could entertain radiological tech, nurse programs, CLS, etc... or other lab tech. type jobs. Still good $, and there your BS will be worth its weight in gold. Plus it enables you, in 10 years or so, to say hey, I want an MS... take the GMAT/GRE and voila...

Fixed. :p:smuggrin:

(just being an *** I know you're on your iphone right? lol)

I took all my pre-reqs at a CC, maintained a 4.0 there, while raising children, doing numerous volunteer activities, and I was a pharmacy tech for 4 years (before I went back to school). I got accepted to my first (only choice because I can not move at the moment, but there is NO other school I would rather go to) choice school. When I went to my interview, the 1PDs said at least half of the students in their class only went to CC.

We had a discussion in class about this, and I think it depends on the CC. Locally, they have done numerous studies on students that leave my CC with an AA and go on to the local four year university versus those that start at the four year, and the CC students are more successful than the students that started at the four year. That is locally though, I don't know what the stats are nationally.

I took all my pre-reqs at a CC, maintained a 4.0 there, while raising children, doing numerous volunteer activities, and I was a pharmacy tech for 4 years (before I went back to school). I got accepted to my first (only choice because I can not move at the moment, but there is NO other school I would rather go to) choice school. When I went to my interview, the 1PDs said at least half of the students in their class only went to CC.

We had a discussion in class about this, and I think it depends on the CC. Locally, they have done numerous studies on students that leave my CC with an AA and go on to the local four year university versus those that start at the four year, and the CC students are more successful than the students that started at the four year. That is locally though, I don't know what the stats are nationally.

Be careful. Correlation isn't causation, it could be that the students who started at the CC in the given studies self-selected into better academic achievement because of hardship, a lack of entitlement, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that the CC system is superior for lower division than the university, or is superior at preparing its students... it could suggest instead that students entering university are entitled, and specifically "want the college experience", thus throwing away, at the least, their freshmen year.

I suppose we could find studies suggesting that the CC also has a higher median age of attendance, which would make also make sense... and this would, again, explain the "better performance" (e.g., they're older, more mature).

I'd be fascinated to read one of those studies to see what their CI was and sample sizes. I don't suppose they're online...

Be careful. Correlation isn't causation, it could be that the students who started at the CC in the given studies self-selected into better academic achievement because of hardship, a lack of entitlement, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that the CC system is superior for lower division than the university, or is superior at preparing its students... it could suggest instead that students entering university are entitled, and specifically "want the college experience", thus throwing away, at the least, their freshmen year.

I suppose we could find studies suggesting that the CC also has a higher median age of attendance, which would make also make sense... and this would, again, explain the "better performance" (e.g., they're older, more mature).

I'd be fascinated to read one of those studies to see what their CI was and sample sizes. I don't suppose they're online...

I agree with your thoughts on this, without better analysis of the studies, it is hard to know. It could also be specific to this particular set up (this CC and this local university). I will have to find out from the person I was discussing it with (my chem professor). It came up in reference to a girl wanting to go on to Veterinary college and someone there telling her she had to retake EVERY class she took at the CC (most particulary her science courses), in order to get into the program. And the university in reference that supposedly told her that is the same one I just got into for Pharmacy school.

I will PM you if I find out more/if studies are online.

That is exactly how I feel. I've been to 5 different colleges and universities and I can honestly say that what you are saying seems to be the vast majority of the cases I've seen. I also suspect it depends on the area... so unless we have a wide reaching, objective study with a more representative sample of different regions it would be hard to tell. And there aren't enough control variables (at least to my knowledge) to rule out any other contributing factors really (age, hardship, marital status, maturity, field of study, etc).

I agree with your thoughts on this, without better analysis of the studies, it is hard to know. It could also be specific to this particular set up (this CC and this local university). I will have to find out from the person I was discussing it with (my chem professor). It came up in reference to a girl wanting to go on to Veterinary college and someone there telling her she had to retake EVERY class she took at the CC (most particulary her science courses), in order to get into the program. And the university in reference that supposedly told her that is the same one I just got into for Pharmacy school.

I will PM you if I find out more/if studies are online.

They did that at my undergrad too (UM and UF are kind of similar). When I was a freshman they told all of the pre-health students not to take any sciences at a CC. It wasn't because they wanted our tuition money (they said it was acceptable to take them at FIU/FSU/UF/state university over the summer if need be), but they just advised us not to take them at a CC because of this exact discussion we're having here. I've been told by faculty at a pharmacy school that they do in fact take into consideration the school we attended for admissions (obviously this is only one school, but this makes me think it happens sometimes). One of the things schools are judged upon is the number of alumni who continue to professional/grad school and they want us to be the top candidates.

I'm not saying there is anything bad about CC's (I've taken classes at them), but it's just a cautionary measure to students who are enrolled in a university to try and be the most competitive applicant that they can be. Pharmacy school is also a lot different because it still hasn't entirely moved towards the unspoken bachelor's degree requirement so there will be some difference between pharmacy/veterinary/medical/dental/etc.

I think it's fair to say that pharmacy school admissions is not as competitive as med school admissions, and med school admissions pales in comparison to the trauma of getting admitted to vet school (just based on the number of pre-reqs and especially the small number of vet schools). Our CC vs. Uni conversation is different from a pre-med's and definitely different from a pre-vet's.

All of the above posters make great points. The one thing I'll chip in is that I was just sitting in a class where there are only 8 students enrolled. When I took Organic Chemistry last summer, there were only maybe six or seven of us. I felt Harry Potter-ish as we were each given our own lab table/equipment. My largest class has had about 26 students. I've really come to appreciate the more personal touch of community colleges.

So, as P4Sci always espouses: find out what your school requires or prefers, since not all schools see CC's the same, and since not all CC's hold themselves to a high standard in academics.

I think it's fair to say that pharmacy school admissions is not as competitive as med school admissions, and med school admissions pales in comparison to the trauma of getting admitted to vet school (just based on the number of pre-reqs and especially the small number of vet schools). Our CC vs. Uni conversation is different from a pre-med's and definitely different from a pre-vet's.

All of the above posters make great points. The one thing I'll chip in is that I was just sitting in a class where there are only 8 students enrolled. When I took Organic Chemistry last summer, there were only maybe six or seven of us. I felt Harry Potter-ish as we were each given our own lab table/equipment. My largest class has had about 26 students. I've really come to appreciate the more personal touch of community colleges.

So, as P4Sci always espouses: find out what your school requires or prefers, since not all schools see CC's the same, and since not all CC's hold themselves to a high standard in academics.

Same here, and with many of the things, I am not sure I would have had the thorough understanding of certain topics that I do have after having the amazing professors I have had at the CC. Most of which have been asked to teach at university level but prefer the one on one time with students. Because of that understanding I gained from my professors, I achieved high grades, decent PCATs scores and got into my college of choice for Pharmacy school.

I would look more at the specific college you want to attend and find out what their student population in the pharmacy department looks like. If the majority have bachelor's degrees or if they have a good mix from CC to bachelor degree students.

Congrats ..........Keep up the good work.......just keep your GPA to a higher level and getsome experience as a Pharmtech before applying. Also take part in some community projects or extarcuricullar activities, like join clubs and organizations of your school. Believe me if u have some experience in community sevice or participate in school clubs, it gives u an edge over other students who r just studious and don't mingle with the society. Purpose is to develop u as a well rounded mature individual.
Another thing is some schools do require u to have a bachelor's degree but most of them don't. Infact most schools just look at ur prereq grades, PCAT scores, Exrtracuricullar activities and ur performance in interviews to accept u.
Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup::)

The A&P class I took at the CC had 14 enrollees for Lecture and they were split into 2 lab sections, 7 a piece... it was so nice compared to the "midnight meat train" that is university science class labs with 4 (or more) to a table.

The A&P class I took at the CC had 14 enrollees for Lecture and they were split into 2 lab sections, 7 a piece... it was so nice compared to the "midnight meat train" that is university science class labs with 4 (or more) to a table.

so many jokes. lol