Taking pre-req at j.c. and 4 year

Started by snipza
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snipza

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be finishing my B.A. in Fall quarter 2014. For winter 15 and Spring 15, I was thinking to take General Chem (it's a 2 course sequence at my university @ 6 units plus lab).

I don't think it is wise to take bio, physics, and organic, all in the following academic year (fall 15). Especially since I am a Business major with no hard science background. I was thinking to do physics at a Junior College for Spring 14 semester and then finish the second class over summer. That way, I have only bio and o chem to worry about for fall 15, winter 16 and spring 16.

How will this look to the admissions committee? If you had to choose a class to take at the junior college, would you do bio or physics? Is this a bad plan?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I will be finishing my B.A. in Fall quarter 2014. For winter 15 and Spring 15, I was thinking to take General Chem (it's a 2 course sequence at my university @ 6 units plus lab).

I don't think it is wise to take bio, physics, and organic, all in the following academic year (fall 15). Especially since I am a Business major with no hard science background. I was thinking to do physics at a Junior College for Spring 14 semester and then finish the second class over summer. That way, I have only bio and o chem to worry about for fall 15, winter 16 and spring 16.

How will this look to the admissions committee? If you had to choose a class to take at the junior college, would you do bio or physics? Is this a bad plan?

Thanks!

Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal, but then again, I only know what I've independently heard/read on here, so take that fwiw
 
I will be finishing my B.A. in Fall quarter 2014. For winter 15 and Spring 15, I was thinking to take General Chem (it's a 2 course sequence at my university @ 6 units plus lab).

I don't think it is wise to take bio, physics, and organic, all in the following academic year (fall 15). Especially since I am a Business major with no hard science background. I was thinking to do physics at a Junior College for Spring 14 semester and then finish the second class over summer. That way, I have only bio and o chem to worry about for fall 15, winter 16 and spring 16.

How will this look to the admissions committee? If you had to choose a class to take at the junior college, would you do bio or physics? Is this a bad plan?

Thanks!

Take as many CC courses as you can. They're cheap and generally good for your GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take as many CC courses as you can. They're cheap and generally good for your GPA.

Thank you for the replies. I will have to decide between taking Biology or Physics at the Junior College. Everything else will be taken at my university.

There seems to be a general consensus that premed courses should be taken at the highest educational level available to me which, in this case, is my 4-year.

I am leaning towards taking Biology at the community college. Therefore I have it all done before I take MCAT.

Any other replies? I appreciate all the replies received so far.