Taking pre req courses at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmp12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Would taking pre req courses at community college or over the summer session disadvantage my chance of getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. No Biology, Chemistry, Physics at a CC. Everything else is fair game. It is fine to take Pre-Reqs over the summer, only if it as a 4-Year Institution.

I took genchem 1,2, gen bio 1, and physics1 in CC
and took ochem1,2, genbio2 and upper level bios, and phys 2 in 4 yr institution.
as long as you take upper level classes in 4 yr institution, i think u should be fine.
all the sci classes i took in CC are 100 level.

what you really have to do is get A in all CC classes, and don't make it go down when u go to 4 yr.
U should show that u can get A whether u r in CC or 4 yr.

If it's possible, take some honor classes in CC.
that will tell them that u r too good to be in CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
This depends on the school.

I took ALL of my pre-reqs from a CC....every single last one of them. Bio, Physics, Chem, Ochem, Calc, etc. etc.

Maybe I just got lucky but my first choice(UCSF) didn't care if your prereqs were from a CC....obviously, cuz I got in.

I had the same question two months ago. Take the prerequisites at CC, but make sure you get good grades in them. Save money as much as you can. Then transfer to a 4 year uni, and take a year of upper level classes. You will be fine, if you get good grades in those CC classes, and do well on your DAT for a big proof.
Most dental schools accept CC courses. Just check the link that doc provided in the post above this. It will clear things for you up.
For example, Howard does not accept CC classes, but who wants to go to Howard? I would not be surprised if Harvard did not accept CC courses, but HOWARD? give me a break.
P.S I got my frist interview a couple of weeks ago, so take that as a good sign for your situation as well.

Are you serious? I took all pre reqs in CC, and I apply to Howard. It means I should expect the rejection?

I took genchem 1,2, gen bio 1, and physics1 in CC
and took ochem1,2, genbio2 and upper level bios, and phys 2 in 4 yr institution.
as long as you take upper level classes in 4 yr institution, i think u should be fine.
all the sci classes i took in CC are 100 level.

what you really have to do is get A in all CC classes, and don't make it go down when u go to 4 yr.
U should show that u can get A whether u r in CC or 4 yr.

If it's possible, take some honor classes in CC.
that will tell them that u r too good to be in CC.

Totally agree with that; so consistency matters. GL

Thank you everyone for the info
I'm a business major so I was thinking about taking pre req courses at CC while taking business courses at 4 year. That way, I can save time and money. I won't have a life while going back and forth between 4year and CC school but it doesn't matter to me as long as I can get into dental school :D