Taking Science Classes for the First Time since High School! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was recently accepted into Penn's PreHealth Postbac Program and I am really excited/nervous to start taking classes in Sept. Any words of advise for someone who hasn't taken a science class since senior year of high school? I graduated from Hopkins with a BA in International Relations and I did not take one science class during my four year in college. I am a bit worried so any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I will also be starting in the Fall at the PreHealth program and I haven't taken science since freshman year in college.

Dr. Hunter (she has a PhD in Biology related field I believe) counseled me a bit on how to "learn" bio and chem, etc. and how they both require different styles. I am mostly planning on just "figuring it out" when classes begin in Sept.

I am really excited for the program!

Yellow Snow, thanks for the advice. I haven't met with Dr. Hunter yet but I plan on speaking with her within the next week. From what you said it seems you learned a lot from her.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I started my post-bac, all I could think about was the C- I got in Gen Chem II (my final science before giving up premed altogether as an undergrad), so my confidence was super low.

For my first semester as a post-bac, I worked full-time and took biology and gen chem I, each with lab, and it worked out really well. Here's what I did to gain confidence:

1. Go to all the classes.
2. Take good notes; be nerdy and have different-colored pens/pencils around so as to distinguish cellular components, formulas, problems, and whatnot.
3. Do the assigned reading.
4. Do the assigned problems (if applicable); and mark the ones you missed in yellow highlighter pen. Return to those as you continue to learn the material for the upcoming test. This will reinforce the material you had trouble grasping.
5. Go over notes every so often; learning happens in layers for me, so it helped to see the material consistently over a period of time rather than cramming.

The more you look at something, the easier it becomes. You can do it!
Good luck! :luck:

As a former postbaccer myself, my advice to you is to do as many problems as possible (where applicable). For example in Gen Chem, Physics, and Orgo, do the example problems throughout the chapter to make sure you understand the principle being taught and then at the end of the chapter do the assigned problems, the unassigned problems and if you're really looking to do well use a different textbook in addition to the one assigned by the prof for more problems and additional approaches to difficult subject matter. For Bio, just memorize as much as you can. For the problem based courses, however, doing lots of problems will almost guarantee you a good grade. I'm serious about the additional textbook thing, especially for Orgo and physics!

studying is useless...the best way to get A's is to find someone really smart and sit next to them during the exam.

seriously though, read to understand concepts instead of blind memorization, even though you will have to memorize certain things. like the previous person said, do lots of practice problems and understand how you solved the problems. dont be afraid of orgo...its easier than you think. finally, get a good grasp of the basics in the beginning of each subject...if you dont, it will come back to haunt you.

Chicagomel has some great advice. I have a few little tweaks to add: Do the assigned reading BEFORE the lecture.

For general chemistry, work the sample problems in the chapter BEFORE the lecture, so you can ask about them in class. Do all the homework. For problems that seemed particularly hard, GO BACK AND DO THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN, WORKING IT THROUGH FROM SCRATCH TWO OR THREE TIMES. To study for gen chem exams, rework homework problems or do other problems from the text or other texts. There are a few things you have to memorize for gen chem, like solubility rules, but mostly it's working problems. That being the case, re-reading the textbook is not what will make you successful on exams. Doing problems will.

For a more narrative class like biology, I found it helpful to form a study group. You can review the notes together and explain the concepts to each other. Nothing cements your knowledge (or shows you that you don't understand something as well as you thought) like explaining it to someone else.

The difference for me between the humanities and the sciences is that you can do well in the humanities as a "burst worker". You can do the work in big chunks and still be successful. Sciences require regular, often daily, study and practice to be successful. If you pre-load your brain before lecture with the material you're about to hear, and do the homework religiously and regularly, you'll be fine.

To me, biology is just a bunch of memorization! Chemistry is more analytical...so even though I have to take orgo over again what helped for me was to practice the problems and I made flashcards of all the diff. chem rxns and reveiwed them whenever I had time. Its very handy and small to fit into yer pocket! I tried reading the textbook but it has alot of esoteric information. I studied my notes and anything I didn't understand I read in the textbook. That is just for me tho...some ppl read all the chps. It depends on what works for u! And talking to the prof helps too.

I do agree with the one poster who said to buy additional texts. There are some textbooks that explain things better than others and even have more info than others! U may not have to buy one maybe just borrow some from the school library. Good luck!

I enrolled in a Post-Bacc program a few years ago after a 12 year break from school. This is what worked for me:

For O-chem, chem, and physics, eventually do all of the problems at the end of the chapter prior to the exam. If a topic is hard to understand, read all of the assigned reading and do all the assigned problems. Read the material in a different text on the same subject where the material is expressed a little differently. For extra problems, use an REA Problem Solver for Chem etc. or find any study aid that has problems with complete solutions. The more experience you get with these problems, the better you will perform on the exams.

For Bio, Physio, and Anatomy, understand the concepts first and then memorize anything that you cannot recall during your last pre-exam review. One trick is to write questions on PostIts and spread these throughout your notes. Try to place the questions right before the related material in your notes. This will help you to recall the material during the exam.

Try to get A's in all your classes. You will need to impress your professors because you may need recommendations from them very soon.

Good luck to you.