Taking spouse to the school you interview at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it look if you bring your spouse along with you to an interview and do the schools even accomodate for that? Would you or wouldn't you do this?

Members don't see this ad.

How does it look if you bring your spouse along with you to an interview and do the schools even accomodate for that? Would you or wouldn't you do this?

Why make yourself standout (in a more or less bad way) for the MOST IMPORTANT thing of your life.:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the posters above. You are interviewing for a professional school. Would you bring your spouse to an important job interview? I wouldn't think so.

I cannot remember which of the schools I will be interviewing at said this...but they said not to bring your spouse. It would probably be no problem at all to bring them along for the trip. That way they could see the area and know what they are getting themselves into. Just don't bring them to the school.

One of the schools I'm interviewing at sent an info packet welcoming the interviewer to bring guests to the luncheon and to tour the school.

Whether you can or not depends on the school. Some schools are very accommodating and encourage you to bring spouses/family members. Best to ask in advance as to not inconvenience them if they are not able to accommodate your requests.

Why make yourself standout (in a more or less bad way) for the MOST IMPORTANT thing of your life.:eek:

What?

If the school encourages you to bring a guest/spouse, and your spouse wants to come, than bring him/her. I brought my wife to both interviews I went to. From an admissions standpoint, I don't think it made a lick of difference. For me, I was glad she came along and was able to see the schools and analyze their strengths and weaknesses with me.

Your spouse will have to sacrifice while you're in school and it will help if they can see where you're going to be spending all your time.

Your spouse can also help you make the decision about which school you choose when the time comes IF they've come with you to the interview. The school you go to is a big decision and your spouse should be included in that decision, especially if the school encourages it.

Once you're married, you figure out it's not all about just you anymore.

I would encourage you to bring your spouse with you to see the area and to see the campus before or after the actual interview date. To actually bring your spouse on the interview date would be unwise. I have been on interviews with interviewees who are married but never been on one with one who brought his/her spouse.

It's always good to ask the school if you really want to bring your spouse during the interview date.