Taking Step 2 CK right after taking inpatient medicine and surgery shelfs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tn615pride

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a unique third year program where I do a different specialty every day of the week and take shelf exams two at a time every 3 months. Our third year also runs March to March. My last pair of shelfs will be inpatient medicine and surgery in mid March, and I've heard that the majority of step 2 is material from those shelfs. I plan on studying for those shelfs almost solely with UWorld. I know it's early but I'm contemplating basically using my shelf studying as the bulk of my step 2 CK studying and taking two weeks off right after those shelfs to redo UWorld for OB/Gyn, Family, Outpt, Psych, and Neuro. Then I'd take Step 2 CK the last week of March/first week of April. I have a low Step 1 score and although I started studying later than most of my classmates and didn't get all the way through UWorld I found the last week or two of studying particularly difficult as far as mental stamina and think I may have even started to decline. I'm nervous that after studying really hard for my last two shelfs I risk losing my momentum and a lot of knowledge not to mention having to build my motivation to study back up if I don't just keep going and take Step 2 right after. Is this a bad idea or do we think that this could actually be helpful for my Step 2 performance?

Members don't see this ad.