Taking Step 2 CK Without Dedicated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTKMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a M4. My Step 2 CK is rescheduled to Sept due to COVID. Unfortunately, with the reschedule, I won't have dedicated time to study and will need to do it while I am on a sub-I. I am very nervous about this as I need to do well in Step 2 since my Step 1 is low 220's. Has anyone done the same (taking CK with no dedicated study time)? Any advice? I am so worried - I need to kill CK to have a realistic chance to match. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

what are you attempting to match into ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be able to reschedule the Sub-I instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Would you be able to reschedule the Sub-I instead?
No, unfortunately, I need the sub-i to get letters before ERAS is due. Our 4th year schedule is really a mess with COVID.

Just reschedule step 2 after your SUB I, and once your score comes back update it in the system.
The sub I is your best shot of getting a position, dont short change it by studying for step as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Just reschedule step 2 after your SUB I, and once your score comes back update it in the system.
The sub I is your best shot of getting a position, dont short change it by studying for step as well.
If I reschedule my CK to after my sub-i, I won't have the result back before ERAS is released. Will it disadvantage me if I only have Step 1 score when submitting ERAS?

If I reschedule my CK to after my sub-i, I won't have the result back before ERAS is released. Will it disadvantage me if I only have Step 1 score when submitting ERAS?
1594252045546.png

your liklihood of matching is good with a 220 score as a USMD. As long as your reasonable in your choice of programs.

You could half ass your sub I and then get a terrible letter and be essentially blacklisted, or you could fail you Step 2 ck or do even worse making programs question if you will be able to handle board exams. The last option is taking the exam afterwards, which means programs wont have it in time for interview initially, but you can update the system so that the programs recieve it.

Taking After>Taking during and not studying> Taking during and studying.

Reactions: 2 users
Also this year is weird cause of COVID cray cray and I bet a lot of programs will offer interviews without step 2 in. The only gotcha is if they are screening for step 1 > your 22X, and want to see a jump in step 2. But I agree with the advice above^ as the safest option. Step 2 is a just a dumb test used for screening purposes, but surgery is about working hard and closely with your team and a good letter >>> anything else.

Has anyone done the same (taking CK with no dedicated study time)?
I did not study for Step 2 CK other than doing UWorld Qs from my weak areas (peds, OB) and some medicine Qs. But I didn't take notes or anything. I did take uwsa for it and got low 250s. I was not invested in the test due to scheduling conflicts resulting in my delaying it by two months--by that point, my head was in a totally different place, and I was burned out on studying after taking Step 1 a few months prior. I essentially relied on prior knowledge.

I scored 248 on it. Step 1 was 255. Not sure if your experience would parallel mine, as I had taken step 1 a few months before and studied 10 hrs/day 6 days/wk for five weeks. There is definitely content overlap.

How
I did not study for Step 2 CK other than doing UWorld Qs from my weak areas (peds, OB) and some medicine Qs. But I didn't take notes or anything. I did take uwsa for it and got low 250s. I was not invested in the test due to scheduling conflicts resulting in my delaying it by two months--by that point, my head was in a totally different place, and I was burned out on studying after taking Step 1 a few months prior. I essentially relied on prior knowledge.

I scored 248 on it. Step 1 was 255. Not sure if your experience would parallel mine, as I had taken step 1 a few months before and studied 10 hrs/day 6 days/wk for five weeks. There is definitely content overlap.
How many UWorld questions did you complete? Finished 1st pass? 75%? 50%?

I feel like a Step exam taken in the middle of a sub-I is more likely to further hurt you than help you. I'd take it when you can study up, or not at all. Or at least, take a practice test 2-3 weeks ahead and be prepared to cancel if it isn't above average.

your liklihood of matching is good with a 220 score as a USMD. As long as your reasonable in your choice of programs.

You could half ass your sub I and then get a terrible letter and be essentially blacklisted, or you could fail you Step 2 ck or do even worse making programs question if you will be able to handle board exams. The last option is taking the exam afterwards, which means programs won't have it in time for interview initially, but you can update the system so that the programs recieve it.

Taking After>Taking during and not studying> Taking during and studying.

I vote for this. As the craziness (continues to) builds, I feel that PDs will have to inevitably scrap "the usual" and understand there is a lot out of our control. Half-assing something is significantly worse than not having it in by Oct 21, especially if that something is AI/LORs and CK.
A "dedicated study period" does not have to be 1 full month. I've heard people only taking 2 weeks for CK, though, you personally will have to gauge that from your performance on clerkships/shelf grades throughout the year.

Reactions: 1 users