Taking step1 and comlex during EM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mithras

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends, I had a few questions and I was not sure if they are supposed to be in this forum or USMLE/COMLEX forum. Due to all the craziness that has been going on with COVID19 and my own procrastination I was not able to find a spot to take my boards before starting rotations in July. I've been super worried, so I wanted to see what u guys thought;
1, how challenging is it gonna b to study during EM rotation (and possibly PSY since I might end up taking step 1 in august)? Im worried about not being able to balance studying for shelf exams and boards at the same time, I know if it was OBGYN or surgery i would b pretty much screwed but im not sure how intense EM is gonna b.
2, Do u think we'll b able to start rotations by July? or do u think the first few rotations are gonna end up being pass/fail online courses, which would actually enable me to spend more time on board prep.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would not want to have to study for shelves and step 1/level 1 while on clerkships.

Also, nobody has the faintest idea what's going to happen with rotations. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar or a fool.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not want to have to study for shelves and step 1/level 1 while on clerkships.

Also, nobody has the faintest idea what's going to happen with rotations. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar or a fool.
Thanks for the reply! I know its not ideal, but like I said I dont really have a choice. I guess my question is how bad is it gonna b during ER rotation? I know if it was obgyn or surgery it would have been a nightmare, but is er more laid back like psy? And I have heard that some 3rd years from certain schools were essentially told that they wont b back in hospitals before end of July, so I do believe there might b people out there who would have an idea, nothing definite of course.

Probably not as bad during an ER rotation than OB or Surgery or IM where you have to do super early AM prerounding, see patients all day, then round again at night and be lucky to get 5-6 hours of sleep. With ER your off time will be doing whatever reading/learning your school and/or site require for a grade, shelf prep, then your leftover time can go towards boards.
I feel your pain though. This morning I got a cancellation email from Prometric for my Level 1 exam. This is gonna suck for all of us.