Taking summer general chem class

nothunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering whether or not I should take a chem class at my local community college next summer/this spring (spring or anytime during the school year isn't very probable because of sports). At my high school, you have to take general science your freshman year, which slowed my class progression down, so I wouldn't be able to take AP chem (and pass) throughout my high school, and I'm pretty sure chemistry is an important subject to have a background in while in college.

I will already be taking AP physics my senior year without physics (although it getting split into physics 1 and 2), and I feel that taking two AP science classes would be GPA suicide, especially with no background on either.

I know it sounds like taking the easy way out, but I was planning on taking a bunch of AP courses through high school so I could take the classes again during college so I could raise my GPA. Would I still be able to do that if I took the chem course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and if I do have to take the credit, could I take it pass/fail, and have it count towards my GPA?

Thanks(again)!

You can take a Chem Class at your local community college if you feel that it'll help you with AP Chem or for Gen Chem in college, but it's definitely not a requirement to have a background while in college. I knew of plenty of people that did fine in Gen Chem/Gen Physics in college that didn't have AP backgrounds in high school.

As for whether you can take the course again after taking the AP exam and getting credit, or taking a college course as pass fail while still receiving credit, it'll depend on the college. Some colleges won't let you retake courses that you've received advanced placement credit in, if you choose to accept the credit. Some other colleges will allow you to take courses you've placed out of with AP credit, but won't count that particular course's grade towards your cumulative GPA.

So I was wondering whether or not I should take a chem class at my local community college next summer/this spring (spring or anytime during the school year isn't very probable because of sports). At my high school, you have to take general science your freshman year, which slowed my class progression down, so I wouldn't be able to take AP chem (and pass) throughout my high school, and I'm pretty sure chemistry is an important subject to have a background in while in college.

I will already be taking AP physics my senior year without physics (although it getting split into physics 1 and 2), and I feel that taking two AP science classes would be GPA suicide, especially with no background on either.

I know it sounds like taking the easy way out, but I was planning on taking a bunch of AP courses through high school so I could take the classes again during college so I could raise my GPA. Would I still be able to do that if I took the chem course?

Thanks!