Taking tDPT vs multiple continuing education classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grooveking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've previously posted a topic about taking tDPT last June, now that I'm taking it... I feel like I would benefit much more from taking continuing education classes.

My only concern is... is it true that I wouldn't be able to practice as a physical therapist in the future without a doctorate degree, even if I have my license? I only have around 1 year of experience and I live in the NJ area.

I see no mention anywhere that DPT will become mandatory to practicing therapists. I would rather spend my money toward classes that would benefit me as a clinician rather than take the tDPT.
Even more is that the continuing education classes would be cheaper than the tDPT.

Would I still be able to practice as a physical therapist in the next 10-20 years if I end up taking the continuing education route instead?

Thank you in advance for any responses/comments.

Members don't see this ad.

A tDPT has not been mandated, so long as you have your license. I honestly would focus on good CEs or board specialization for personal development.

I did exactly what you are doing. Although I would agree that the tDPT didn't really add much to my practice, it did satisfy my CE requirements, plus, now I have the same credentials that new grads have. you can take CE anytime. and NO, the lack of a DPT will never effect your ability to practice. like Azimuthal said, its your license. the DPT is just a degree. there could be people still practicing with a certificate only, or a bachelors, although there can't be many still practicing,