Taking the MCAT in July....tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaryK1223

Reaction score
Okaaay so I know deep down this is a longshot but....I'm taking the MCAT THIS July (2023) and so far I'm just doing content review. Currently freaking out because I'm discovering that there's so many things I don't know. Any tips (websites, books, etc) anyone could offer that could maybe help me increase my chances of getting a good score would be highly highly appreciated! I'm currently using the Kaplan books, and I've taken a diagnostic and my score was 489. My target score is 520 :(

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason why you can't push the test date back? Because a 31 point increase in one month is a pretty big jump. People usually say start using AAMC materials 1-1.5 month away from their exam.

Last edited:
Agreed on pushing it back. You're talking about going from a 30th percentile score to 97th, not just a 31 point increase. There's also the question of whether 520 is realistic and necessary for your goals.

Have you done the prereq courses that cover MCAT material? Why is it you're finding there's a lot you don't know?

Move your test date back by a year.

Which set of review books are you using?

Have you gotten a copy of the 300 page summary of Khan Academy psych/soc videos?

Have you practiced on UWorld?

Have you practiced on the actual AAMC materials?

Which science classes have you taken?