July 28th MCAT okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1908

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a July 28th MCAT would be considered okay for this cycle? I am currently signed up for the July 15 MCAT and got a 511 (126/128/128/129) on FL1 yesterday. Thinking of no show/voiding it and signing up for the 28th instead because I am super nervous about Chem/Phys and definitely feeling underprepared for it. For context, I am a low stat applicant (3.1 undergrad c/sgpa, including a 3.7 diy postbacc, 3.6 SMP gpa, 1500 clinical, 1600 research, 500 nonclinical service hours). Am hoping to take the MCAT on July 28, pre-write secondaries, and be complete before Labor Day (I guess this would not be possible for schools that screen for MCAT scores). Is this a viable option for MD/DO schools? Or should I take it July 15 and hope for the best?
Would really appreciate any advice, thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the MCAT on 7/28 will permit a relatively timely DO application.
Rushing to take the MCAT if 511 is not consistent with your aspirations is not a sound strategy for MD schools.
Extending your study time by 2 weeks may be inadequate to make any significant difference.
If you have only used one AAMC FL, you still have plenty of good resources to re-assess your readiness.

Your MCAT score will always remain visible. Do not take the test (on either date!) unless you are confident of a score c/w success.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm unclear how you plan to void/no-show the MCAT on July 15 and be able to find an opening or register for July 28. You cannot sign up for another MCAT until after your current test date has passed. You can't be sure of what spaces will be available for you if you try to sign up on July 16 or 17 (whenever you are clear to do so), or if they even allow registering that close to whatever date is ultimately open for you. Check your timeline and test date availability in your area before you decide to void on July 15. If you are hellbent on July 28, you probably need to consider an official change of date rather than voiding and hoping you are lucky enough to get a July 28 date.

If you are a 511 (N = 1 is a dangerously low sample size) now, how will thirteen days help? There are just so many frantic aspects to everything here.

Reactions: 1 user