Taking the Real MCAT as Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am sure this topic has been addressed. I used the search function, but couldn't find it. Why don't more people take the real MCAT as a practice test, say 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through their prep, voiding it at the end? I wished I had.
Pros:
-more realistic picture of what test day is like
-knowing the general level of difficulty of the real test vs. older AAMC practice tests
-you can better target the rest of your test prep
-If you get lucky and have a great test (which is possible since you would be more relaxed) don't void the score and celebrate.

Cons (and fixes)
-cost (worth the $$$)
-Ability to find a seat at your true target test date (You can find a seat if you keep checking AAMC and/or are willing to drive a ways to get there)
-Every test is different (true, but an up-to-date test is a heck of a lot better practice than a 10 year old test)
-only allowed to take 3 MCATs a year. (Just be sure you are READY when you take your real real test)

In sports this strategy, "specificity of training", is sacrosanct. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to do it with the MCAT. Yet I have never heard of a prep company or even many people here on SDN suggest this. Am I missing something? Why NOT take a real MCAT as practice???

Members don't see this ad.

So I am sure this topic has been addressed. I used the search function, but couldn't find it. Why don't more people take the real MCAT as a practice test, say 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through their prep, voiding it at the end? I wished I had.
Pros:
-knowing the general level of difficulty of the real test vs. older AAMC practice tests
-If you get lucky and have a great test (which is possible since you would be more relaxed) don't void the score and celebrate.

Cons (and fixes)
-cost (worth the $$$)
-Ability to find a seat at your true target test date (You can find a seat if you keep checking AAMC and/or are willing to drive a ways to get there)
-Every test is different (true, but an up-to-date test is a heck of a lot better practice than a 10 year old test)
-only allowed to take 3 MCATs a year. (Just be sure you are READY when you take your real real test)

In sports this strategy, "specificity of training", is sacrosanct. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to do it with the MCAT. Yet I have never heard of a prep company or even many people here on SDN suggest this. Am I missing something? Why NOT take a real MCAT as practice???
I think the main thing you're missing is that most people aren't this masochistic. :smuggrin:

All kidding aside, without the score report, simply sitting in the testing center doing the questions is not going to be helpful in guiding your studying. As you said, every test is going to be different. What you really need is to take several practice tests, get the score reports, and look for trends in what your strong and weak areas are. You can't do that without having the score reports and the breakdown by subject. If you decide not to void your score and you get a low score, yes, you will have your score report, but then so will we. (We being the adcoms.) That's probably not quite the kind of help you had in mind. ;)

For anyone who may be thinking about trying this, I highly recommend that you not sit for the MCAT until you're as prepared as possible for it. This is one of those times when one shot, one kill is the optimal strategy.

As usual, Q is spot on with her advice and let me just expand on what she said:
Pros:

I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you mean the nerves, night before, or what procedures to follow on test day then these can be prepared for in advance. Nerves and the night before you can't control much unless you put some effort into practicing it and even then it won't be a guarantee. The procedures you can just look up on MCAT essentials. Taking it just to void it won't really change your experience when you take it when it counts. So I'm not sure how this is a pro.

This won't help unless you have a score report, as Q mentioned. Go look at the 1/30/10 MCAT thread and you will see that everyone felt terrible but actually ended up doing well. Without the score you won't know how difficult or easy it was. I've taken the MCAT before and voided and all it told me was that I needed much more preparation and that the test is harder than AAMCs so you need to prep as thoroughly as possible. You should put as much time into it as you can, seeing that the actual test is more difficult shouldn't change if you prep more or less.

Once again, this is impossible without a score as Q mentioned for the same reasons as mentioned above. Also, each test is different so that one test may emphasize genetics and another may not and one may emphasize O. Chem and another may not. Prepare for everything to be tested. Taking an actual test in advance without getting the results won't tell you weaknesses and the test is too variable to study certain topics and not others.

There's something I read in the Official Guide to the MCAT book that I found is absolutely true. The writers of the MCAT wrote that "you will never get above what you are capable of, but you could certainly get below what you're capable of" This test is too hard for anyone to "get lucky" and if you are only 1/3 or 2/3 through your prep then you will have no chance of breaking a 30 because you will not have done much if any FLs at all by then.

I took the test once already and voided because I took shortcuts and didn't prepare well and it showed when I got to the testing center. It wasn't the same feeling people get when they have prepared well and feel like the material was difficult, it's the feeling that you only took 2 FLs and know that you can do better and aren't prepared for what's in front of you. So I took the next few months to do all the practice and FLs I could get my hands on (40). All that test showed me was that I needed to prep harder and should have stuck to the rigorous schedule that I had originally planned instead of taking so many shortcuts. It just showed me the test was as hard as everyone claims.

This topic has come up a few times in the past year on these forums so I just wanted to clarify that it isn't really a good idea. Just look through the 30+ thread and create a plan that fits you and your learning style and then stick to that plan and prep as much as you can.

Everyone seems to make a big deal out of Post-MCAT pre-score feelings and nothing about post score feelings. Everyone feels they bombed the test after they take it, that's part of the test. If the test didn't seem hard then the writers wouldn't be doing their job. Everyone thought that the 1/30/10 test was atrocious but if you look at their scores and their feelings after the score you will see that everyone says that in hindsight the test wasn't as bad as they thought right after taking it and they scored within their average. Everyone on every date will post that they thought at least two sections were impossible and everyone will end up doing their averages if they keep calm and execute what they practiced. That's the nature of this test.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Last edited:
To be honest, I think this would have helped me alot. (I did fine and am happy with my score, but would have made test day less stressful).

Probably not worth the money, but definitiely would not hurt.

A cheaper alternative is to take AAMC tests in a public computer lab with decent noise level. My testing center constantly had people walking in and out of test, train going by, really loud keyboards, etc. Definitely was not a peaceful test environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't too far off of what other SDNers have suggested: Decreasing test day stress by recreating your actual test day when taking FLs (using public computer, same timing, same food/snacks, etc).
This just becomes a $225 FL with no explanations.

Pros (and responses based on data):

-Hope for great test: Assuming you've prepared well, it seems that how you feel about a test (esp. during) doesn't correlate with how well you score. Many notice this while taking practice AAMCs..

-Gain a more accurate picture of test day/current test format: Probably, but it doesn't seem like this alone leads to an improved score (based on AAMC data for retakers).

Cons:
-Pay for 3 expensive tests, when only one matters

-During MCAT #3, assuming equal preperation, I would argue that you'll be worse off than someone who's taking their first MCAT (still hoping for a "great" test, still nervous, but with no potential to void).

That's a good idea, but I wanted to in my two cents to help anyone out who may benefit from this. That, and you may one day be my colleague and I want you to succeed.

The MCAT is also a test of confidence. Don't worry about endurance, because for most people who have done 2 years of undergrad or more, they will have already demonstrated more endurance than is needed for the MCAT. You have to have confidence in your abilities and talents and not see the MCAT as a test that will harm you or your application. You cannot be defeated by the MCAT, and you must constantly think this and adopt it as a core belief and conviction.

Some may argue that luck has a lot to do with it, and that you may also be unlucky on test day. While this may be true for some, it will not be for those who are truly prepared and want to score well badly enough. This comes from diligent practice and lots of preparation. This will lead to increased confidence on test day, and thus a better performance. You must realize that the sciences test you on basic sciences, so that the concepts won't be as difficult as you would think. You just need to apply the concepts. Pretty much everyone with an average IQ, through lots of training and preparation can do well on the science sections, and VR and WS.

Another issue of luck, eat foods that you are used to in the days leading up to the exam. Wash your hands a lot as well, to prevent getting sick. Also, dress appropriately in case the air conditioning breaks down. Plan your sleep schedule accordingly well in advanced of the test date. Practise wearing ear plugs up with ear muffs over them up until test day. This is all a part of training and preparation, and will help overcome bad luck. If you think that you are unlucky and receive a difficult exam, keep in mind that if you prepared hard enough, the exam won't be that difficult, and besides you have to keep your confidence up, and you can push through anything within reason. Further to this, if the exam were really that hard, just try to do the best that you can. Because if you trained and prepared well enough, your best effort could mean that you have a score slightly better than everyone else's and that could benefit you from curving adjustments.

If you are still having confidence issues. Take some time to be alone, and think about your other strengths. Then realize that the skills and talents that you have are there because your mind is actually quite strong and powerful. And if you apply motivation to it, you can concentrate that energy into a powerful training and conditioning regimen that will allow you to study well and practise well for the MCAT. This will all translate into a strong score, or even a near perfect score. Just remember, you can do amazing things in a short period of time. You can score very high, and you certainly have the capability to. There was a guy who scored a 42S after studying for 3 weeks. This person also scored a near perfect on the LSAT. Further, he studied for 1 week while working and studying for courses, and scored a 41R.

Anything is possible, just realize that you have the greatness in you as well.

You don't think you are good enough? Well, between you and me, you lose this argument.

But want more help? Go to youtube, and google: Facing the Giants
Watch the video. Tap into that greatness and don't be afraid anymore. You will become a Physics professor, Newspaper Editor/English Professor, Biology professor, Professional Writer for each section of the test that you need to be. You will score high. Just believe in that, and most of all, believe in yourself.

There's something I read in the Official Guide to the MCAT book that I found is absolutely true. The writers of the MCAT wrote that "you will never get above what you are capable of, but you could certainly get below what you're capable of" This test is too hard for anyone to "get lucky" and if you are only 1/3 or 2/3 through your prep then you will have no chance of breaking a 30 because you will not have done much if any FLs at all by then.

I took the test once already and voided because I took shortcuts and didn't prepare well and it showed when I got to the testing center. It wasn't the same feeling people get when they have prepared well and feel like the material was difficult, it's the feeling that you only took 2 FLs and know that you can do better and aren't prepared for what's in front of you. So I took the next few months to do all the practice and FLs I could get my hands on (40). All that test showed me was that I needed to prep harder and should have stuck to the rigorous schedule that I had originally planned instead of taking so many shortcuts. It just showed me the test was as hard as everyone claims.
I think you guys, even Q, are missing the point. The purpose of taking the real MCAT as practice (RMAP) is not to be able to do a post-mortem on your test. That is the point of the FL practice tests, which you should obviously still do all of. RMAP is an easy fix for the ubiquitous post-MCAT ran over by a semi truck feeling of "WTF, that was nothing like any of the practice tests." There is no test out there, even the old AAMC FL practices, that accurately replicates the present MCAT except for the present MCAT. I'm not talking specific content on a given test. I'm talking level of difficulty and level of stress, which does not vary greatly from test to test. Your post proves my point. You did exactly what I am advising, (taking and voiding) and your remaining MCAT prep was more effective as a result, and w/o the score report! A lot of people end up doing FMAP as a de facto strategy, when it could just be added as another prep tool. The AAMC has provided a loophole in the void option that is not being fully exploited. And if you (or your parents) can spend the extra $200 then why would you not exploit it? It allows you to see what you are in for in a way no other practice does.

Regarding not knowing your score. A lot of people can accurately predict their score after experiencing a couple AAMC FLs. I'm no genius, and I could always predict within a point my overall score. The same held true for the real MCAT. So, for those who can predict their score, the "get lucky" option is a useful one. And I agree, you are not going to score above your potential (by definition), but chances are you will as you said often score below. By "get lucky" I mean score your potential best at the time. Again, this part of the strategy only works for those who are good score predictors. And even though you are only part way through your "official" test prep, you have really been preparing ever since BIO 101. And with some specific MCAT test prep and a couple FL practices already under your belt, it is definitely realistic that you could score above 30 on the real test, and many people would be content with that. But if not, no problem-- void it. And if you aren't a good score predictor , no problem--void it! You still are ahead of the game and have a much clearer idea of what the real test is like.

RMAP is not a replacement, it is an addition. The MCAT is serious business, and you have to exploit every opportunity to set yourself up for success. With all these anti-RMAP posts, no one has adequately answered the why not question. I think we would all agree that RMAP is definitely not going to harm your MCAT prep in any way, there are lots of potential benefits, and it's only $200 and 4 hrs of your life. With the amount of time and money that most of us are spending on MCAT prep, this is an easy solution to a major problem (i.e. having NO CLUE what the real test is like), and one that not enough people are utilizing.

I didn't read your whole post because I have been studying for my real MCAT which is in a couple of weeks but what I was trying to say was that taking the real test did not help me because everything I learned from the experience just solidified what I had heard on SDN. If I had prepared fully then I would not have voided at all, the only reason I did was because I was WAY behind schedule by the time the test came around. I'll say it again, taking the real test didn't change my perception of how hard the test was because I had already figured that part out by reading MCAT threads. It didn't change my study schedule at all. My studying hasn't changed as a result of the experience because I planned to study thoroughly from the beginning because that's what seemed to be the common thread among high scorers. I don't think it harmed me in any way either. I think if you're thinking of postponing more than 2 months then it MIGHT be worth it but otherwise, I don't think you can gain anything from the experience.

Secondly, I think the MCAT would vary in difficulty from test to test because it depends on YOUR strengths and weaknesses. A well prepared will not find many tests hard whereas for a moderately prepared individual it will fluctuate from test to test. Also, I think the passages in the Official Guide to the MCAT were pretty reflective of the passages from my experience so why not just buy that. The only difference I've found is that the VR was a bit longer on mine.

Also, I understood your get lucky argument but my point still stands, if you are only 1/3 or 2/3 of the way through your studying then why would you want to limit your output and not try to do the best you possibly can and wait until you are fully through preparation.

Lastly, I think that the gain is minimal, if any at all, because you don't get to see those passages and questions again, you don't get to see your score, and you don't get to review the test. For me personally, $200 and 4 hours is a waste of time for something that I can just read up on SDN. There may not be a great reason for why not but there isn't a great reason for why to either. The potential of gaining something is very very minuscule in my opinion and can be gained just as much by reading up on detailed experiences of other users. But I digress and realize that to each his own and some people can't believe something until they experience it firsthand.

Hope this clarifies things,

-LIS

Last edited:
RMAP is an easy fix for the ubiquitous post-MCAT ran over by a semi truck feeling of "WTF, that was nothing like any of the practice tests." There is no test out there, even the old AAMC FL practices, that accurately replicates the present MCAT except for the present MCAT. I'm not talking specific content on a given test. I'm talking level of difficulty and level of stress, which does not vary greatly from test to test.
I'd say that *you* are the one missing the point--if you go in there planning all along to void the test, it ain't like the stress of taking the MCAT for real, now is it? ;)

I'd say that *you* are the one missing the point--if you go in there planning all along to void the test, it ain't like the stress of taking the MCAT for real, now is it? ;)

Fair enough. But the possibility of not voiding, along w the vibe of the test center, would crank up the stress at least to a level btwn that of FL practices and the real thing. And either way, sitting through a real mcat does give u a better sense of what u will be facing on test day. And that's worth $200 in my book.

I guess we can all agree to disagree. At least we have our opinions all stated here so if anyone is curious can look at all perspectives.

Usually topics that have as much disagreement as we had get really ugly really fast. Nice to see that it didn't happen here, so good for us.

-LIS

Usually topics that have as much disagreement as we had get really ugly really fast. Nice to see that it didn't happen here, so good for us.
Well, I wouldn't be setting a very good example as a mod if I started going off on the members just because they had the gall to disagree with me. :laugh:

Well, that comment excluded you. I'm curious though, has a mod ever been banned?

-LIS

And this is advantageous to you... how?

As QofQ said, if you go in knowing it's not your real MCAT, the whole purpose is defeated. You're essentially paying $200 to take a FL than you need to.
I gave a pretty clear explanation in my posts. The stress level would fall somewhere btwn a FL and the real test, and the purpose of exposure to a real up-to-date MCAT in a real test setting is achieved whether you get scored or not. Whether the advantages are worth $200 or not is a personal decision.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that it wouldn't be useful to see how a real MCAT is administered. The real question is how much it is actually worth it to you. I wouldn't have minded knowing how the test center works before I took my actual MCAT since it definitely would have relieved a little bit of stress. That said, I wouldn't pay $200 for it but that's entirely up to each person.

i think its kind of a waste to take the mcat anytime other than when you're 100% done with the material. The odds of you lucking out and getting an mcat that covers only the 1/3 or 2/3 of the material you know seems fairly low. And if there's anything i discovered after taking 11 FLs and the real thing in january, it's how you feel after the mcat doesn't necessarily correlate to how well you did. Some of the practice FLs i took, the ones i felt most apprehensive and confused about, i scored the highest. I walked out of the real mcat utterly drained, extremely fatigued and really not knowing what to expect in terms of the curve; i ended up scoring a few points above my average, which i still can't believe. Thus its hard to know when to void, especially if you've only gotten through 1/3 or 2/3 of your review where presumably you haven't done all your FLs. In either the 1/30 or 1/29 mcat threads (can't remember exactly), there's a person who scored a 40 or above, who said they almost voided. The January mcats had a whole slew of bitching and complaining, yet it has the highest amount of 40s i've seen in a mcat thread and most scored around their averages. I admit there is a certain amount of luck involved with this test, but to me it seems wasteful to walk into the mcat not being completely done with your review.