Taking the test on 2 hours of sleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to sleep the night before the exam, and there is nothing I can do about it. I didn't sleep for my MCATs, I didn't sleep for a single exam in med school, and I am suffering from insomnia two weeks before my step 1. I have tried everyting, and I just can't fall asleep. I don't have health insurance so now hypnotics for me. Alcohol doesn't work, anti-histamines make me groggy (nyquil or dyphenhydramine). So, I remit to my insomnia, and realize that I will have to take my exam with 2 hours of sleep. Caffeine intake stops early. I exercise every day, like a maniac (have been doing it for 8 years now), my diet is near perfect (health fanatic). My test is at 12 pm, so I can't schedule it any earlier. Anyone been through the exam with 2 hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to sleep the night before the exam, and there is nothing I can do about it. I didn't sleep for my MCATs, I didn't sleep for a single exam in med school, and I am suffering from insomnia two weeks before my step 1. I have tried everyting, and I just can't fall asleep. I don't have health insurance so now hypnotics for me. Alcohol doesn't work, anti-histamines make me groggy (nyquil or dyphenhydramine). So, I remit to my insomnia, and realize that I will have to take my exam with 2 hours of sleep. Caffeine intake stops early. I exercise every day, like a maniac (have been doing it for 8 years now), my diet is near perfect (health fanatic). My test is at 12 pm, so I can't schedule it any earlier. Anyone been through the exam with 2 hours?

I face the same problem just like you. I can barely get any sleep before an exam. Mine is probably because i take one hour nap every afternoon :sleep: . So my plan for the day before is to wake up at 10-11am and keep myself busy throughout the day(shopping, movies, FA e.t.c) until about 10pm. That way, when i get back to my house, i can easily pass-out and get aleast 6hrs sleep before the D-day. Hope it works for me.:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is cool, hope it works for you. When is your test?
I have the same problem (even down to having my test at noon), this sucks because my usual med school exams are from 9 AM to noon, so even if I dont sleep, its no biggie, I can crash at noon after the test, but if an 8 hr ordeal like step 1 STARTS at noon.......

this is what I came up with (and it works!!!) - say ur exam is at noon on fri, try to get into a schedule where you wake up at midnight (12 AM) on thursday and you stay up for 24 hours or more (till around midnight or 2 AM on friday) and by then, you should be able to pass out and wake up after a restful 8 hrs at 10 AM on friday - problem solved

(unless you have a problem staying asleep for 8 hrs once you have fallen asleep.................in which case, look for a non-drowsy sleep aid, they are definitely available, I have friends at school who use them and they have no complaints with grogginess)

I have the same problem (even down to having my test at noon), this sucks because my usual med school exams are from 9 AM to noon, so even if I dont sleep, its no biggie, I can crash at noon after the test, but if an 8 hr ordeal like step 1 STARTS at noon.......

this is what I came up with (and it works!!!) - say ur exam is at noon on fri, try to get into a schedule where you wake up at midnight (12 AM) on thursday and you stay up for 24 hours or more (till around midnight or 2 AM on friday) and by then, you should be able to pass out and wake up after a restful 8 hrs at 10 AM on friday - problem solved

(unless you have a problem staying asleep for 8 hrs once you have fallen asleep.................in which case, look for a non-drowsy sleep aid, they are definitely available, I have friends at school who use them and they have no complaints with grogginess)

Well if he's not falling asleep because of anxiety, I don't think staying up 24hrs straight will make a difference. the only difference it'll make is instead of getting one night of no sleep before an 8 hour exam, you now have two nights of no sleep before an 8 hour exam.

I have this problem as well. We just had a neuro block and for some reason my brain felt the need to review every neuron of every tract as soon as I laid down to sleep.

I take 500-1000mg of Tryptophan and sometimes that seems to help turn the brain off. Strong chamomile tea (2-3 teabags per cup) seems to help a bit, too.

I found that I didn't have this problem at all when I gave up all caffeine, which suggests to me that caffeine ingested even hours before bed can still affect some people's sleep. If you decide to quit the caffeine, do it at least a week before the test, as you might have headaches for a few days. In the end, I found it to be a quality of life issue - my life is so much better caffeinated I am willing to sacrifice sleep for it. Ah, the power of addiction. :thumbup:

yes, i too did no sleep, at all for both step1 and 2 and came out in 240, 235. it can be done, let your brain work for you, trust yourself, the adrenalin will help you too..

I would say try scoring meds off a doctor in the family, but since you are so close to ur test date, probably not a good idea to experiment

I guess training urself everyday from now till the test date to doing questions on 2 hrs of sleep is your only option...........like a marathon runner

good luck

p.s. just curious, in a given week of 168 hrs, how many hrs do u sleep?