Taking time off after 2nd year for research - HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uiwsomdoc

Reaction score
Hello,
I just learned I've been offered a 6-9 month research role in a field very relevant to my interests (I hope to go into infectious disease, this opportunity is conducting HIV vaccine trials). As part of the program, I will be able to conduct a project under the mentorship of an investigator and would be highly encouraged to publish the results, which could be a great segue into future research projects and into the specialty I want. I am currently an OMS-2 (OMS-3 after June 2023).

I am also an HPSP student. I know my school has a specific "educational" leave of absence category for students who need to pause studies in order to pursue pre-approved, structured academic inquiries relevant to medicine. This is definitely that type of situation. The question is, how would I go about getting this approved by the Air Force and is this something they generally would be likely to approve? Would having a well-structured research program and possible subsequent publications generally be desired and encouraged by Air Force residency programs (in other words, is it worth it on a practical level to delay starting my 3rd year rotations by 6-9 months in order to pursue a research opportunity that I am very interested and passionate about)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if AF HPSP would let you take the delay. It used to not be possible in the .mil but its been a while. That said, I wouldn't do it anyway. ID is noncompetitive specialty, and you could either spend that year as a student working in ID or as an ID attending.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly haven't heard of anyone considering this in years and vaguely remember someone (resident maybe?) mentioning that they had applied for a form of educational leave, but had been denied as a med student. I think it used to be possible, in theory, if you were going to end up with another degree (as opposed to straight research).

I'd second the idea that you might want to look really hard into whether it's needed or will benefit you. If it's something you really want to do regardless, then it may be worth it to you despite a lack of impact later on.

You won't know until you ask, but be prepared for the answer to be "no".

The AF HPSP contract, which I assume is similar for the other branches, does explicitly discuss finishing medical school in the minimum time possible. The fact that it’s included means that someone clearly has tried to extend medical school before. Obviously it’s in the AF’s best interests to have a predictable number of applicants per year, but as with anything if there’s a will there’s a way. As with anything you’ll have to sell your proposal on how it would benefit the AF with your deviation from the usual plan.