taking time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynwang

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi... do any of you know if chances for getting a top choice residency are in any way diminished if i take a year off after graduating from med school to work or get another degree? how difficult is it to apply for residency when you're not coming fresh from med school? if i do take a year off, is it absolutely better that i do it between 2nd and 3rd year?

thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

How is it looked upon if you take a leave of absence for a couple of months during med school? That's what I'm doing during my 3rd year for personal reasons. Thanks.

Will you be applying for residency one year later or will you make up the time before graduation? If you make up the lost time before graduation, the Program Directors probably won't even know you took time off. If you are applying one year later, you will probably be asked to explain why you took time off. How it is looked upon will probably depend on why you took a leave of absence. Also, certain specialties might look at it differently than others.