Would schools be turned off by sending a letter from a prestigious program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedpower8484848

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I’m from California applying to a competitive surgical sub speciality.

I did one of my away rotations at a top program on the east coast and obtained an LOR from a a well known attending I built a solid connection with.

I’m applying heavily to all Cali programs as my family is from the region. Some of the schools in California take 3-4 letters. Do you think there's any harm in sending a 4th letter from the prestigious school when applying to programs out west? Or should I just stick to sending my 3 west coast letters. Heard that some schools may yield protect if they see themselves as a backup. Obviously don’t want to do that by unnecessarily sending that letter. Conflicted on what to do.
 
Wut?

depending on specialty, they are a small field. A prestigious person in the field is always a good thing. We all meet each other in conferences in small specialties/subspecialties anyway. No one will view it as you are suspecting
 
Send it. The name at the bottom of the letter means 1000x more than what’s said in the letter.

I had multiple interviewers tell me a particular letter was the reason they interviewed me, and it was 2 short sentences long. The name at the bottom is what really matters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In surgical subs (particularly mine) LORs matter. And they matter quite a bit more if it’s a good letter from a big name. Honestly it seems like a no brainer to me to send it. I know you want to stay West but this is one of the big reasons to do away at big time programs, no?
 
Send it. The name at the bottom of the letter means 1000x more than what’s said in the letter.

I had multiple interviewers tell me a particular letter was the reason they interviewed me, and it was 2 short sentences long. The name at the bottom is what really matters.
Really? Makes me regret not getting a big name letter.
 
Hey all, I’m from California applying to a competitive surgical sub speciality.

I did one of my away rotations at a top program on the east coast and obtained an LOR from a a well known attending I built a solid connection with.

I’m applying heavily to all Cali programs as my family is from the region. Some of the schools in California take 3-4 letters. Do you think there's any harm in sending a 4th letter from the prestigious school when applying to programs out west? Or should I just stick to sending my 3 west coast letters. Heard that some schools may yield protect if they see themselves as a backup. Obviously don’t want to do that by unnecessarily sending that letter. Conflicted on what to do.
Yield protect? In a competitive surgical subspecialty? Doesn’t exist. Use the letter that you’ve earned; don’t take any interview for granted.