Taking time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbles17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone-

i was orginally planning to apply this cycle, but i just got back my mcat score...and not so great. =*( im really really bummed about it.

I'm graduating in Decemeber, so since I probably will be apply now in the 2008-2009 cycle, that leaves me with 1.5 yrs off from school.

what do people do in their time off? anyone know of some great health opportunties? especially in the bay area?

thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone-

i was orginally planning to apply this cycle, but i just got back my mcat score...and not so great. =*( im really really bummed about it.

I'm graduating in Decemeber, so since I probably will be apply now in the 2008-2009 cycle, that leaves me with 1.5 yrs off from school.

what do people do in their time off? anyone know of some great health opportunties? especially in the bay area?

thanks for your help!

There is a pretty good program called Health Corps. The pay sucks (like $800/month - but most people on it qualify for food stamps so its not too bad plus at the end you get a 4-5k stipend for school). Basically you work in various clinics in the bay area, particularly ones that have high uninsured populations. There are various jobs you can get but in the end its really great clinical experience and a lot of fun.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the contact info.

Travel. Spend the time in another country that you won't have once you enter and finish medical school.