Taking time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakeplacid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone take time off between residency/fellowship and getting a real job? I'm talking several months, not a whole year. My spouse and I would love to do some traveling beforehand, and luckily we have some money saved up just for that. I've heard of it being worked into your contract, but wondered whether it's really all that doable, or if your hiring company will look down on you b/c you can't start immediately. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I started right up, but I know a lot of people that took some time before starting to move/get situated, have some vacation time, etc. Most places don't operate on an academic calendar, and if you aren't in a position to dictate your start date, then you may already be in trouble with your new job. They didn't have you on staff yesterday, so why should another few weeks/months matter? That's the view I would take. Much easier to take time off before you start than after.