taking to the dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggaman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i was just wondering if any of you out there has gone and talked with the dean or someone from the admissions committe while applyin. i have heard some people doing that and sayin its a good idea cause it shows initiative and that you are very interested in coming to the school. wondering what u guys think and if i should talk to them what do you think are some things that i could bring up. the school would def be my first choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I never actually made an appointment with a dean, but sometimes the deans of med schools would come to my undergrad to give presentations for prospective students, and hang around for a while afterwards, so I would talk to them then.

I really doubt that I would be remembered out of all the applicants, though. Even the idea that the dean is an active part of the adcom is questionable.

In other words, do it if you want to, but don't do it to suck up.

anyone else out there have any suggestions i could really use the feedback. im kinda hopin for any thing at this point in the game and will try anything..

If you've already applied for this year, and are trying to talk to the dean to sway his decision, it'll probably look like kissing up. Just sit back and try to relax, but consider the possibility that this isn't your year. Devise a Plan B.

I wouldn't go out of my way to specifically talk to the dean, (there are plenty of other "important" people without a big title) but if applying next year, you should definitely make your interest known.

1. Email specific faculty with specific questions about programs you like.
2. Request brochures, etc.
3. Don't hesitate to ask a few important questions about applying (I had to email the adcom of a school for a Q on LOR's)
4. Take extra time on your secondary for that school
5. Visit the school if you can, meet people there, be friendly but not overbearing.

I wrote a letter of interest for my top school, and mailed it a few days after my secondary. I very sincerely stated that their school was my first choice, elaborated briefly on why, and indicated a specific program that I liked at their school.

I interview at my top school in a few weeks.

Just remember the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid)

-NS