Taking undergrad classes as a grad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radicator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My local state university offers classes that I am planning to take for a DIY post-bacc. The only issue is that since I already have a bachelor's degree, I have to apply as a "graduate-at-large" instead of "undergraduate-at-large" for the non-degree program. However, I am still signed up for undergraduate classes. I'm wondering if this is ok as I know the AMCAS doesn't factor grad school work into GPA because the classes I'm taking themselves are undergrad classes. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there not a 2nd Bachelor's option? If you don't see it listed, then call and ask. That's what I did and got senior status as well, which made it easier to schedule everything.
As far as I remember it (it's been a hot minute) if you're registered as a grad student, then it doesn't matter what the course designation is, it'll still count towards grad gpa for AMCAS, not UG gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
If i'm not mistaken, once you are conferred a degree all subsequent credits will go towards post-bacc/grad GPA and not your undergraduate GPA. I took 2 classes after graduation at my university and they were listed under postbaccalaureate undergraduate GPA.

When filing your application you can list them as postbacc/undergraduate and AMCAS may go back and correct them. Did you go to this same school for undergrad? It more than likely will come down to what the transcripts say and how AMCAS interprets them. Check with your school and see if they will separate the transcripts into grad and postbacc or whether they will all appear under your graduate school education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT take the classes if you're classified as a graduate student; it'll be calculated as GRADUATE GPA and everyone knows you do these programs for UG GPA remediation. Too, the graduate courses will likely be more expensive. Find a school that lets you sign-up as an undergraduate, or post-baccalaureate non-major with undergraduate standing. In short, it is not OK.

Reactions: 1 users
If i'm not mistaken, once you are conferred a degree all subsequent credits will go towards post-bacc/grad GPA and not your undergraduate GPA. I took 2 classes after graduation at my university and they were listed under postbaccalaureate undergraduate GPA.

When filing your application you can list them as postbacc/undergraduate and AMCAS may go back and correct them. Did you go to this same school for undergrad? It more than likely will come down to what the transcripts say and how AMCAS interprets them. Check with your school and see if they will separate the transcripts into grad and postbacc or whether they will all appear under your graduate school education.
Post-bacc and grad gpas are seperate on AMCAS. The UG gps is separated out by year (FR, SO, JR, SR, then all post-bacc together) and all averaged together for cUG GPA.
Grad GPAs are entirely separate calculations.

Reactions: 1 users
The bold is incorrect.

Hi everyone,

My local state university offers classes that I am planning to take for a DIY post-bacc. The only issue is that since I already have a bachelor's degree, I have to apply as a "graduate-at-large" instead of "undergraduate-at-large" for the non-degree program. However, I am still signed up for undergraduate classes. I'm wondering if this is ok as I know the AMCAS doesn't factor grad school work into GPA because the classes I'm taking themselves are undergrad classes. Thanks!
It should be okay. I took some courses at the university but mostly community college for my post bacc and it never came up in interviews

It should be okay. I took some courses at the university but mostly community college for my post bacc and it never came up in interviews
I don't think you understand the question.

So just to be clear, the general consensus is a no to taking undergrad classes if registered as a grad student right?

Hi everyone,

IT's OK

Is it really? Everyone else seems to be saying it won't be calculated into the uGPA if I'm registered as a grad student. Thanks!
You may learn that SDN likes to contradict itself. A graduate course will not increase your undergraduate GPA and you should take the advice from those who actually went through the application process.

If you take an undergraduate course does it count towards a graduate degree? If not, I believe it would count towards your undergraduate degree. I'm currently in a masters program. I can take undergraduate courses, but they don't count towards my master degree. Logically, since they're designated by course level(ie <=5000 undergraduate level, >=6000 graduate level), any undergraduate coursework I take would count towards my cGPA.

If you take an undergraduate course does it count towards a graduate degree? If not, I believe it would count towards your undergraduate degree. I'm currently in a masters program. I can take undergraduate courses, but they don't count towards my master degree. Logically, since they're designated by course level(ie <=5000 undergraduate level, >=6000 graduate level), any undergraduate coursework I take would count towards my cGPA.
No. Amcas logic is different. If its on your graduate transcript, it counts as a grad course regardless of the course number.
I took ug level classes during my MS as well and amcas put them with my grad classes.
If OP (or you) wants to add courses/gpa points to the ug calculation, they must be registered as an ug or pb student.

That's wrong. Whatever undergrad course you're taking as a grad student will count towards your grad GPA.

Then how come TMDSAS and AAMCAS count it toward my undergraduate GPA? I have been out of school for 10 years, have a master degree, and recently took Biology I and II, Physics I and II, Biochemistry, Genetics, Biostatistics. PB counts toward your undergrad GPA, I did my math.

Then how come TMDSAS and AAMCAS count it toward my undergraduate GPA? I have been out of school for 10 years, have a master degree, and recently took Biology I and II, Physics I and II, Biochemistry, Genetics, Biostatistics. PB counts toward your undergrad GPA, I did my math.
PB *is* included in ug gpa, but for it to have counted for you, you weren't registered as a grad student at the time. You can be registered as UG, 2nd bachelors, or non-degree seeking, and any of those are fine to get the courses counted into the UG calculation, regardless of whatever prior degrees you completed. But if you're registered as a grad student *while taking those courses* (which you weren't, were you?) then the transcript says "Graduate" and all the app services will count the gpas as such, regardless of course designation.