Taking zoloft

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michaela521

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have somebody who is taking zoloft at 50 mgs per day in caplet form. He would like to start taking the 100 mgs capsules because they are cheaper. Any good ways to dilute/take 50mgs per day with a 100 mg CAPSULE. thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Michaela521 said:
Hello I have somebody who is taking zoloft at 50 mgs per day in caplet form. He would like to start taking the 100 mgs capsules because they are cheaper. Any good ways to dilute/take 50mgs per day with a 100 mg CAPSULE. thanks. :)

Not that I know of but this forum isnt for medical advice. The answer is no though. You cant dilute it.

Michaela - are you from outside the US? Here, Zoloft (& generic sertraline) is available as 25, 50 & 100mg tablets which are easily breakable. Many folks (& insurance companies encourage - another thread) breaking the tablet to get a lower dose. They can't be diluted though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michaela521 said:

No.

Since it is in powder form inside the capsule why not open the capsule over some water (2cups) and let the powder fall inside, mix it up with a spoon, immediately drink half off it, next day right before you drink it mix it up again and drink the rest of the half. You might not get exactly 50 mgs a day but I don't see why that should matter or be a problem. At times you might get 30 mgs a day and the next get 70 mgs but if that is the only negative about doing it this way I don't see why that is a big deal sense in general you will still be getting the same amount. Perhaps there is something about it that I am just not getting. Thank you for helping. :)

You can't assume the solution will be stable all day or suspend well in water. To me, it would make more sense to buy empty gelcaps at the store and split it that way instead of dealing with liquid. Where do you live that they make capsules? We have tablets here. Why not just have the patient take 25mg capsules or tablets straight from the manufacturer?

Michaela521 said:
Since it is in powder form inside the capsule why not open the capsule over some water (2cups) and let the powder fall inside, mix it up with a spoon, immediately drink half off it, next day right before you drink it mix it up again and drink the rest of the half. You might not get exactly 50 mgs a day but I don't see why that should matter or be a problem. At times you might get 30 mgs a day and the next get 70 mgs but if that is the only negative about doing it this way I don't see why that is a big deal sense in general you will still be getting the same amount. Perhaps there is something about it that I am just not getting. Thank you for helping. :)

Michaela...you can't do this for lots of reasons. I'm not sure you are a pharmacy student or in the US, but I'm going to assume you are both. In the US, Zoloft is a compressed tablet. You could crush the tablet & put it in applesauce or yogurt if you want to give the whole dose. But, you cannot split the dose as you describe because the calcium in the tablet (to assist with compression) is insouble. In addition, sertraline itself is insoluble in water. The commercial concentrate solution contains glycerin & alcohol to help the sertraline become soluble. When a dose of concentrate is measured, it is diluted and the dose is immediately administered. It cannot be diluted and stored over time because the sertraline will come out of solution & degrade. That is the pharmaceutics of why your idea won't work. I won't even get into why you cannot take 30mg one day and 70mg the next - there is no realistic professional response I can give to that question. The real concern here is why does your friend feel the need to have a dose which no provider would prescribe because of its impractability? Perhaps your friend has his drugs mixed up (fluoxetine is available as tablets and capsules, but different mg strengths) or is trying to adjust the dose himself/herself. If these perhaps are the case, I would encourage your friend to seek medical advice from his physician or pharmacist.