talk about board scores in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you bombed one set but made a strong comeback on the second would it ever be appropriate to either focus your entire statement on how you overcame the adversity or at least mention somewhere that you're a fighter and you are capable...

I'm talking suave, savy, smooth integration of this issue into a personal statement not "I'm not as dumb as my step 1's say I am and here's 2 to prove it..."

thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what is bombed? i think that matters a lot.

I think he means bombed Step 1, which must mean below 240, right😉 ?

If you truly bombed, you're going to have a tough time getting past many of the screening tools, which are computerized. Many are set at 220, but not all. If you have some special connections to a particular place or two, or are AOA, you might be in okay shape. Look at the aamc data for AOA status and board scores to get a better idea.

If you truly have like a 30 point spread, and you tanked Step 1, I would mention it. Be brief and responsible and not just an excuse maker.

I really don't think the PS matters too much for rads, and I was an English major. (I have written and edited many a PS.) Just make sure you get a few other people to look it over, esp MDs.

good luck!
 
yeah I did 30pts better on step 2

no doubt it's going to take a miracle...

i suggest only mentioning it if there was an extraordinary set of circumstances that influenced your performance, e.g. my mother was in a car accident and was in the hospital for 5 weeks. the very reason why board scores are used is because they're quantitative and objective, so i doubt trying to shed a subjective light on your score would be helpful.

i echo the unimportance of personal statements. the PD at my university stated bluntly that she hates reading them, and in a decade of receiving applications she's only read one that stood out. again, use it to explain any applicable extraordinary circumstances, otherwise, just keep it simple.
 
I would definitely give it a shot. Like said above though, need good stuff to say. I don't know if you need a reason like, "mom died," I don't know how many would go for something like that (excuses...) or actually believe it either. I'd like a more honest straight forward answer. Good luck, and congrats on the great improvement.