Board scores for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, how important are step/level 3 for rads fellowships? I’m a DO so currently planning on only doing level 3. Would it be wise to take step 3 as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good letters, research experiences, and a pulse (also DO who matched my #1 neuro without an awful lot of effort). Only the very top programs might care about you being a DO or not having stellar resume fillers.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, how important are step/level 3 for rads fellowships? I’m a DO so currently planning on only doing level 3. Would it be wise to take step 3 as well?
Like others said, no one cares about step 3 scores and only that it's passed before fellowship begins. But I recommend getting it out of the way early during your internship or R1 year so that you can focus on radiology and the core exam. I waited to take my step 3 in Jan/Feb of my R3 year and I regretted waiting so long. Even though I passed core exam just fine, I think I made it more difficult on myself for no good reason. Good luck!

Like others said, no one cares about step 3 scores and only that it's passed before fellowship begins. But I recommend getting it out of the way early during your internship or R1 year so that you can focus on radiology and the core exam. I waited to take my step 3 in Jan/Feb of my R3 year and I regretted waiting so long. Even though I passed core exam just fine, I think I made it more difficult on myself for no good reason. Good luck!
I’m planning on taking it late in my intern year. With my current plan, I’ll have 4 months of wards and 1 month of ICU under my belt, so hopefully I won’t need to focus on the medicine portion too much in my studies.

I’m planning on taking it late in my intern year. With my current plan, I’ll have 4 months of wards and 1 month of ICU under my belt, so hopefully I won’t need to focus on the medicine portion too much in my studies.
That's ideal. You should be fine. If you study a little bit and are familiar with the CCS software you should pass no problem.

My opinion is the earlier you take it the better. So much of the exam are things like OB, neurology, pediatrics, that you forget over the year without working with it. Also medicine in real life =\= medicine in practice.