Talk about this ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it's definite downside to medicine. His example where he got sued for referring a patient to a urologist than having 40K in attorney fees even though the case was dropped is incredibly typical. Lawyers and plantiffs don't care all they see are $$$ signs and they name everybody and anybody in a lawsuit.

So even though he did nothing wrong he lost- the result 40k legal fees, malpractice insurance goes up, everytime he applies for crendentialling he has to list this as a claim made against him. If he settles a case even if he did nothing wrong he gets reported to national practioner data bank which again will affect credentialling with hospitals and Insurance companies. Th system is completely borked.:mad:

stuff like this is a horrible shame. medical practice should not be dictated by FEAR of a lawsuit. i don't know what the solution is, but pehaps we can look to europe for some ideas of how to remedy this.

the really screwed up part is that defensive medicine skyrockets costs. there is an incredibly challenging job of balancing cost and defensive medicine, and patients and doctors get screwed at both ends. who wins? lawyers and insurance companies. what a f#^ked up situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last weeks Newsweek was all about this topic - not just for doctors but for clergy, teachers, police, anyone. I haven't finished reading it - they supposedly offer some solutions so I'll be interested in seeing what those are.

There needs to be massive reform in the way lawsuits are carried out. Wouldn't it be cool if as a physician you can have people sign a waiver saying they cannot sue? I guess it's more likely I'll slay a dragon in my lifetime. I'm bummed though, I really want to do ob/gyn.

Hey Brickie,

Here in Utah the largest Hospital corporation (Intermountain Hospital Corp) has done just that - patients now have to sign a waiver agreeing not to sue but to undergo arbitration if there is ever any challenge. If a pt does not agree to the waiver, then they are not allowed to have services.

Maybe I should create a whole new thread on this topic - it's being very hotly debated here.

Originally posted by Alleria
Very simple solution. Loser pays legal fees.

Kills frivolous lawsuits dead. End of story.

Simple solution- but it has not and probably will never be adopted since lawyers run this country.

The best part is the list of links to malpractice attorneys after the article.

:rolleyes:

Sigh...
What a mess this whole malpractice insurance problem is. Its roots can be traced deep into our societal values where blame must always be made, anger trumps forgiveness, and money satisfies even the simplest of hedonistic desires. Due to these deep roots there will be lots of reluctance to fix this problem unless the threat to society itself (e.g.- decreasing number of doctors, decreasing willingness to treat certain patients, etc.) is greater.

sincerely,

goobernaculum the ultra-pessimist

I guess it's the price doctors pay for playing God. God doesn't make mistakes.