Talking about mental health in my secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ludicrously.capacious

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of schools ask something about a challenge I’ve faced and overcome. I’m tempted to write about my experience in my first semester of college where my mental health took a nose dive and I learned how to seek out help from friends, family, and professional — and now I very confident in my abilities to take care of myself during mental tasking experiences.

Does this seem like a good thing to write about? I mean it very sincerely, but I worry some adcoms may still be prejudiced about mental health issues and may write me off for being so candid about it. I’d appreciate any advice on this.
 
I wouldn’t talk about it. About 50% of states would give you a hard time getting a medical license over having anxiety or depression.

One day when I’m 50 maybe medicine will have changed. But I doubt it