Talking with your hands during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexamasan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think talking with your hands will have a negative impression on an interview? Do you think it would depend on the extent of you talking with your hands?

Members don't see this ad.

you mean body expression using ur hands? it's a good thing, you're putting your emotion and heart to what you're talking about. just don't stare at your hands.

you mean body expression using ur hands? it's a good thing, you're putting your emotion and heart to what you're talking about. just don't stare at your hands.

To just clarify, yes, that is what I mean, and thank you for your opinion :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I see nothing wrong with talking with your hands, provided the verbalization aspect is very strong.

It's a natural expression anyway.

Talking with your hands demonstrates exceptional manual dexterity.

lol my hands were flailing around at all my interviews. I think it's just something I do in general though. But during certain interviews I'd see them staring at my hands moving around than paying attention to me at times with smiles aha. The hand gestures do help keep them from falling asleep though and shows your enthusiasm. Just my opinion.

Do you guys think talking with your hands will have a negative impression on an interview? Do you think it would depend on the extent of you talking with your hands?

All the practicing dentist I know "talk" with their hands every day at work. It's called dentistry.

I'm assuming you're a Dago like myself and if you DON'T talk with your hands then it will have a negative impact.

Talking with your hands is pointless and distracting to the interviewer. But I can't have a conversation without constantly doing it. I noticed my interviewer at NYU following my hands instead of looking at me.

Although I agree, I also think that talking with your hands can create a more engaging conversation if done naturally and properly.

alexamasan, you may want to go to interview workshops and get yourself evaluated so you're 100% confident going into your interviews. :)

Talking with your hands is pointless and distracting to the interviewer. But I can't have a conversation without constantly doing it. I noticed my interviewer at NYU following my hands instead of looking at me.

Please refrain from talking with hand gestures. It is more important to have your hands hang at your side with an erect posture, as you maintain uninterrupted eye contact, and speak with a low, monotone voice about why you like dentistry.

I'm a hand talker too...and also saw them looking at my hands during my interviews, which made me self-concious (thinking it was a distraction for them).

I would try to minimize it and maybe use facial expressions and tone to express your enthusiasm...but at the same time, you have to keep it real, don't fake anything--just try to find a balance.

I know when I was doing mock interviews for engineering jobs, I was told NOT to talk so much with my hands that it is a distraction and most interviewers won't like it.