TAMU vs PLFSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RotundRaymond

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, this past Friday I matched at PLFSOM in El Paso and this afternoon I received a call from A&M that I got off their waitlist. On Match day I received an almost full scholarship from PLFSOM which would really help since I'm paying for school and won't have any financial support from family. I'm from Dallas and I ranked TAMU pretty high for the chance to come back to Dallas and be close to home. I'm having some trouble deciding between which one I want to go with. From my understanding (which might be wrong) both programs will give similar chances to match into a surgical subspecialty which I'm somewhat interested in at the moment. Thank you and please feel free to let me know your thoughts!

PLFSOM
Pros

  • Nice juicy scholarship
  • On the border, truly a unique experience that you can't really get anywhere else.
  • Get to learn spanish which would be cool

Cons

  • 9 hours away 🙁


TAMU
Pros

  • Get to move back to Dallas.
  • Get to rotate at BUMC (idk if this is a pro or not)
  • Get to be closer to newborn nephew.

Cons

  • College station for 1 year sounds kinda meh
  • Have to self learn spanish
I've been told by some people that in the end once you're an attending med school debt wouldn't matter so I just wanted to post on here to see if others think the same lol.
 
Hey everyone, this past Friday I matched at PLFSOM in El Paso and this afternoon I received a call from A&M that I got off their waitlist. On Match day I received an almost full scholarship from PLFSOM which would really help since I'm paying for school and won't have any financial support from family. I'm from Dallas and I ranked TAMU pretty high for the chance to come back to Dallas and be close to home. I'm having some trouble deciding between which one I want to go with. From my understanding (which might be wrong) both programs will give similar chances to match into a surgical subspecialty which I'm somewhat interested in at the moment. Thank you and please feel free to let me know your thoughts!

PLFSOM
Pros

  • Nice juicy scholarship
  • On the border, truly a unique experience that you can't really get anywhere else.
  • Get to learn spanish which would be cool

Cons

  • 9 hours away 🙁


TAMU
Pros

  • Get to move back to Dallas.
  • Get to rotate at BUMC (idk if this is a pro or not)
  • Get to be closer to newborn nephew.

Cons

  • College station for 1 year sounds kinda meh
  • Have to self learn spanish
I've been told by some people that in the end once you're an attending med school debt wouldn't matter so I just wanted to post on here to see if others think the same lol.
which one did you decide to keep, in the end?
Both good schools!