Target "business college"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm765

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted a position with Target for after graduation. I start with a 3 week-long "business college." Has anyone been through this or heard anything about it? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard about the business college, but would you mind sharing with us more about your offer from Target? I'm curious about how the work schedules are for pharmacists there. Also, how many weeks off do new pharmacists start with?

I accepted a position with Target for after graduation. I start with a 3 week-long "business college." Has anyone been through this or heard anything about it? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with pharmacy.
I had a rotation at Target last fall, and I worked with a floater several times who was a new graduate. He was going to be doing his "business college" training in a few weeks--in other words, he hadn't started off with it, as you say you are. He would have been working for about 2 months first. Anyway, he described it just like it sounds...you learn about the business aspects of Target. You learn about all the various reports, how to intrepret them, which parameters to monitor, which parameters you strive to improve. Target's a business and they view the pharmacy department in numbers.

The position you have accepted--will you have a permanent store or will you be a floater? It seems like pharmacists going in to their own store would need to know more about this up front than a floater would. I think the priorities of floaters are often just to not screw anything up and to not leave total chaos for the regular crew the following day. Trying to actually improve the store's numbers is the last thing on their mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard about the business college, but would you mind sharing with us more about your offer from Target? I'm curious about how the work schedules are for pharmacists there. Also, how many weeks off do new pharmacists start with?

the schedule is 9-9 (12 hours) during week days and 9-6 (9 hours) on weekends. according to the group leader (like a DM), the vast majority of stores follow this schedule, the only exception is when the pharmacists only want 8 hour shifts. most stores have a pharmacy manager and one other pharmacist or 2 part-timers. there is a half hour lunch break (pharmacy closes).

i'm starting with 2 weeks vacation, 3 personal holidays, 6 national holidays. After 5 years it increases to 3 weeks vacation and 4 personal holidays.

I'll start as a grad intern, and the specific store will be decided once I am a pharmacist, but I will not be a floater unless I want to try out different stores for a while.

One cool thing is that benefits (med,rx,dental,vision) can start on the first day as a grad intern.

Thanks for the info about Target! Do you think you will get any say in which store they put you in? I think I'd probably want to float around for a while so that I could see which store I liked the best. It's amazing how much difference there is between store personel etc.

So, was it hard for you to decide on Target? I've always assumed that most of the big chains have similar offers for new grads and wondered if it would be difficult choosing.

btw, congrats on graduating!! It must be a great feeling!

Target is the schiznit! If all else fails, I'm going to be a Target Pharmacist. Target has the good looking stay home moms shopping. It's clean...well lit and merchanidise is cool. And nobody I know gets their scripts filled there...can't imagine it being very busy. The best benefit of all is the employee discount.

:thumbup:

The best benefit of all is the employee discount.

But you have to use cash or the Target Visa card to get the discount, and that's a little shady in my opinion. But, the people I worked with figured out a way around this by using the nifty "suspend" feature on the Target registers and buying a Target gift card for just the right amount...

wait...so how does the suspend and gift card work?

wait...so how does the suspend and gift card work?

My guess (at least this is how it's been done so I can cut in front of people while they get a replacement item while at the register) is you ring up your stuff, suspend the transaction so you can enter a different transaction before you pay for your stuff. For the new transaction just buy a gift card for the amount of the suspended transaction. That way you can use your non-Target credit card to pay for everything.

I see. So you would get discounts on all your items and just pay by a gift card that you purchased in full with your own credit card.

I know somebody who's doing this right now - he has to wear a red shirt and khakis everyday to training. That was a big turn-off to me - 4 years of pharmacy school, and I would still have to dress just like the checkout girl at the front register for training??

I know somebody who's doing this right now - he has to wear a red shirt and khakis everyday to training. That was a big turn-off to me - 4 years of pharmacy school, and I would still have to dress just like the checkout girl at the front register for training??

Um, yeah. So? Does your "four years of training" somehow elevate you above the status of a lowly "checkout girl?" Because, you know, she's working for a living too.

Members don't see this ad :)
the schedule is 9-9 (12 hours) during week days and 9-6 (9 hours) on weekends. according to the group leader (like a DM), the vast majority of stores follow this schedule, the only exception is when the pharmacists only want 8 hour shifts. most stores have a pharmacy manager and one other pharmacist or 2 part-timers. there is a half hour lunch break (pharmacy closes).

i'm starting with 2 weeks vacation, 3 personal holidays, 6 national holidays. After 5 years it increases to 3 weeks vacation and 4 personal holidays.

I'll start as a grad intern, and the specific store will be decided once I am a pharmacist, but I will not be a floater unless I want to try out different stores for a while.

One cool thing is that benefits (med,rx,dental,vision) can start on the first day as a grad intern.

If you don't mind me asking, what area do you work in and what's the salary for new grad's over there?

Also, if you know what are the other retail chains paying just for comparison. Target has always been on the top of my list ater graduation and just want to see how they treat their pharmacists.

Congrats again! I used to work at Target as a clerk 7 years ago and it was a good experience. Very nice atmosphere but they didn't even have a pharmacy back then I don't think.

If you don't mind me asking, what area do you work in and what's the salary for new grad's over there?

Also, if you know what are the other retail chains paying just for comparison. Target has always been on the top of my list ater graduation and just want to see how they treat their pharmacists.

Congrats again! I used to work at Target as a clerk 7 years ago and it was a good experience. Very nice atmosphere but they didn't even have a pharmacy back then I don't think.

Eddie, noticed your an economics major there. Know much about/follow the stock market much?

My guess (at least this is how it's been done so I can cut in front of people while they get a replacement item while at the register) is you ring up your stuff, suspend the transaction so you can enter a different transaction before you pay for your stuff. For the new transaction just buy a gift card for the amount of the suspended transaction. That way you can use your non-Target credit card to pay for everything.
Exactly!

Yes. You have to be a Target team player. But you do get to wear a nifty white coat, and your nametag looks like a capsule. Take that, front checkout girl!

One of the pharmacists I worked with was very liberal with the Target dress code, and I suspect the pharmacists may be able to get away with a little more. He would wear plaid or striped pants (always with some khaki incorporated!) or red gauyabera shirts (those cool Mexican button-downs).

Um, yeah. So? Does your "four years of training" somehow elevate you above the status of a lowly "checkout girl?" Because, you know, she's working for a living too.

I certainly didn't mean to be offensive to anyone with my comment. But, on reflection, yeah - I'm pretty sure that, after spending 10 total years in post high-school work (I already have a BA and MS) plus 16 years of full-time work experience in several professional settings, I'm not going to go back to the working conditions I had when I was 18 (the last time I had a job where all the employees had to wear matching uniforms).

I'm not going to go back to the working conditions I had when I was 18 (the last time I had a job where all the employees had to wear matching uniforms).
Some hospital pharmacists (and some of our local CVS's, actually) wear scrubs. That is very much a matching uniform.

I'm a soon to be grad out on the West Coast and I was offered (and accepted) a $54/hour rate. They've really tightened the belt our here and I hear stores w/ less than an 800/week script average will be losing hours. Instead of 9-9 on weekdays, it will be 10-8. Saturdays will now be 10-6 (not 9-6) and Sundays will be 11-5 (instead of 9-6). The economy hasn't hurt job prospects, but fringe candidates no longer have a wide array of options.

Good luck everyone!

Will you be moving to Cali? Is target giving you 40 hours a week? So for Sunday, you will only be working 6 hours? 8 hours on Sat?

I have also accepted a position with Target in Dallas, TX. I will be a floater for at least a few months, and they said that at that point if there's a particular store I like, I can put in to work there as a staff pharmacist.

Target has 42 hour weeks, with a 1/2 hour lunch each day.

I'm also starting out with "Business College". The HR person I spoke to said it will be 6 weeks maximum, because I have the option of training "part time" as I study for the NAPLEX. Not I. I'm ready to earn some $$ :cool:

They average 800 rxs/week in the Dallas area by the way. That was a pretty big factor in my choice (along with no drive-thrus). The store I've worked at during pharmacy school in Little Rock averages 1600-1700. Sure, it doesn't matter how many you fill if there's terrible staffing, but I can't imagine 800/week being too difficult as long as there's 1 tech with me all the time. I've heard almost nothing but good things about working for Target.

CVS offered about 15k more than Target, but I'll accept that pay cut to not have 14 hour days without a definite lunch.

I have also accepted a position with Target in Dallas, TX. I will be a floater for at least a few months, and they said that at that point if there's a particular store I like, I can put in to work there as a staff pharmacist.

I'm also starting out with "Business College". The HR person I spoke to said it will be 6 weeks maximum, because I have the option of training "part time" as I study for the NAPLEX. Not I. I'm ready to earn some $$ :cool:

They average 800 rxs/week in the Dallas area by the way. That was a pretty big factor in my choice (along with no drive-thrus). The store I've worked at during pharmacy school in Little Rock averages 1600-1700. Sure, it doesn't matter how many you fill if there's terrible staffing, but I can't imagine 800/week being too difficult as long as there's 1 tech with me all the time. I've heard almost nothing but good things about working for Target.

CVS offered about 15k more than Target, but I'll accept that pay cut to not have 14 hour days without a definite lunch.
How many tech hours do you have a week for that amount of scripts? Our local Target gets about 120 hours for 150/day, or about 1 tech hour for every 7 scripts.

I'm a soon to be grad out on the West Coast and I was offered (and accepted) a $54/hour rate. They've really tightened the belt our here and I hear stores w/ less than an 800/week script average will be losing hours. Instead of 9-9 on weekdays, it will be 10-8. Saturdays will now be 10-6 (not 9-6) and Sundays will be 11-5 (instead of 9-6). The economy hasn't hurt job prospects, but fringe candidates no longer have a wide array of options.

Good luck everyone!

isn't $54 on the west coast a little low for retail? I was expecting that for here in ohio, not cali.

I almost got hired by Target. That would be the ideal retail pharmacy job... that's where good looking young moms shop instead of Walmart. And oh.. the employee discount!!!! Sign me up!

Target is the schiznit! If all else fails, I'm going to be a Target Pharmacist. Target has the good looking stay home moms shopping. It's clean...well lit and merchanidise is cool. And nobody I know gets their scripts filled there...can't imagine it being very busy. The best benefit of all is the employee discount.

I almost got hired by Target. That would be the ideal retail pharmacy job... that's where good looking young moms shop instead of Walmart. And oh.. the employee discount!!!! Sign me up!

:smuggrin:

I get my dog's scripts filled at target!

isn't $54 on the west coast a little low for retail? I was expecting that for here in ohio, not cali.

Three factors typically dictate "high" wages:

1) Working in a geographically undesirable area and/or Spanish speaking skills;
2) Lots of work experience that merits the extra $$; and
3) Working in area that is suffering from a pharmacist shortage.

NONE of these applies to me. So, for a new grad in this economy...$54 is pretty chill with me (especially if it means I avoid working for CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid or some other chain). At least TARGET offers you a performance bonus at the end of the fiscal year to boost your earnings.

NONE of these applies to me. So, for a new grad in this economy...$54 is pretty chill with me (especially if it means I avoid working for CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid or some other chain). At least TARGET offers you a performance bonus at the end of the fiscal year to boost your earnings.

CVS does that too.

I guess cali must be pretty saturated. $50-$55/hr starting is pretty standard here in columbus OH, with or without experience. They used to give $15-$20K sign on bonuses, but that has diminished somewhat to more like $7-8K. Sigh....:(

Hey guys i signed with Target as a floater in NY:).... Do you guys happen to know if target reimburses for traveling expenses? ex: train/subway fees/mileage/gas/anything lol.. I also heard something about reimbursing for hotel stays depending on how many miles the store is from where you live?.. A few of the stores are going to be prettyyy far. I'm guessing it can't be a super nice hotel, but hopefully not like a Motel 6 as well hehe. :rolleyes:

thanks guys!

Hey guys i signed with Target as a floater in NY:).... Do you guys happen to know if target reimburses for traveling expenses? ex: train/subway fees/mileage/gas/anything lol.. I also heard something about reimbursing for hotel stays depending on how many miles the store is from where you live?.. A few of the stores are going to be prettyyy far. I'm guessing it can't be a super nice hotel, but hopefully not like a Motel 6 as well hehe. :rolleyes:

thanks guys!

As a floater you should get paid both for drive time and mileage, keeping in mind you have to subtract the mileage from your home to your home store first.

thanks guys!

I signed on with them as well in Chicago! They reimburse you for miles traveled in your car, I don't know about train/subway etc. I've heard nothing but good things about the company so congrats!

so what's up with this business college?

also, what kind of system do they use? i heard it's pretty archaic.....

when do they teach you the computer system, prescription work flow, etc????

got offered a float position.....at least they pay for milage AND drive time

Business College was a complete waste of time. It's 5 classroom days and the rest is position based training. The PBT is good though, you usually are paired up with experienced, friendly pharmacists that help integrate you into the system.

They use a PDX system which, honestly, is pretty damned easy to use once you get the hang of it. I like it night and day better than CVS' system but it's not anywhere near as good as Walgreens.

I'm floating as well and it's a good gig, I say go for it and stay away from the devil (WAGS).

I'll be going to a 3-day business college tomorrow, we'll see how it goes ... I'm guessing it's going to be boring. That's what the other pharmacy manager said. At least I don't have to work this week...

oooohhh SNAP!

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Are you still working for Target? If so, do you still enjoy it? I recently accepted a position there and want to know what to expect in general. Thanks!
BTW....whooo pig soooie!

Are you still working for Target? If so, do you still enjoy it? I recently accepted a position there and want to know what to expect in general. Thanks!
BTW....whooo pig soooie!