Tattoos in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJNYY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless it says "I beat cancer", people will make silent judgments and won't bother to know the back story.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it says "I beat cancer", people will make silent judgments and won't bother to know the back story.

True.

That being said, as long as it covers (and anything shoulder will, upper arm may be a slight issue if you are wearing scrubs only) you'll be fine.

Even if you get an upper arm one, I've seen a couple tattoos around the hospital. People may silently judge but honestly, whatever. I don't have any tattoos (and don't plan to) but it won't make me respect a physician less. Might be different on the street or something, but not in a hospital (and not if the physician is wearing a white coat/scrubs).

So, I am a recently treated cancer patient as well as an MS2-3 (finished with Step 1 but haven't started rotations). My chemotherapy left me with some unwelcome reminders on my left upper arm & shoulder region in the form of skin discolorations (streaks, blotches, etc.). This sort of skin discoloration, as per literature and other peoples experiences, may or may not resolve on its own but after a year or so you'll pretty much know which group you fall under. I figure in 2 years if it doesn't resolve on it's own, I may reclaim that space of my body as my own by getting a tattoo over my left shoulder and upper arm (like a half-sleeve) with a personalized design that relates specifically to my cultural background (no flaming skulls or anything).

I recognize that tattoos in medicine are generally frowned upon, but given my circumstances I'm wondering if mine would be perceived as acceptable (especially when one learns the back story). For what it's worth, I'm a student in good standing with a solid Step 1 score and I'm most interested in EM and Trauma Surgery. Not to sound self serving, but I'm a pretty personable person and tend to interview well. Also I wouldn't be getting this tattoo (assuming I still want it) until AFTER matching residency (because a half sleeve tat requires multiple sessions and I'd work with a reputable artist and would much rather go through this process when I fewer professional obligations on my plate so that I can be sure it's done correctly and tastefully).

Let me know your thoughts :)

I have some rib/shoulder/upper arm work. Shouldn't matter so long as you don't let it past the half-sleeve.

I don't see an issue unless you show it off.

Good luck with everything.

This could be you OP
vEAppL8.jpg

My friends have sent me this picture multiple times.. I have no visible skin on my right arm and my left arm is 50% the way there. I also have my chest covered with tattoos...

I am a family medicine practioner -where I wear a white coat, and who also works in urgent care - where I just wear scrubs.

If there was a problem/conflict it would be during residency - specifically surgery residencies as you can't hide under white coats. Some attendings are 100% against tattoos for any reason and will make your life worse - and it is a risk you take if you get anything below a scrub sleeve (which is higher than most t-shirts)...

Reactions: 1 user
As someone mentioned above, it might be difficult to hide under scrubs if you're going into any field where you have to go to the OR/can't wear a shirt under or coat over the scrubs. However, I think it depends a lot on where you go. We have a pediatrics resident who has a bunch of tattoos and gauge earrings in both ears, yet he is frequently nominated for resident awards by patients and staff because he's such a great guy. As long as you cover the tattoos during interviews and try not to display them much in the hospital, you should be fine. People seeing it swimming or whatever isn't a big deal. My guy friend is going into surgery in the air force and got a huge tattoo on his back... no one cares.

I have a tattoo. I used to cover it up but its almost always exposed now. No one seems to care or even notice. In the beginning a few students asked me about it but never any faculty and never in a negative light.

I haven't gotten to the clinical years yet so I can't say how it will affect me then but I already have the tattoo so there is no point in worrying about it. There will probably be someone along the way who doesn't like it but in the end if you are a good student it shouldn't matter imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Plenty of med students and residents in my program have visible tattoos (mostly half-sleeves and full-sleeves). I have several and some of them stick out of my scrubs in the OR. Even one of the vascular attendings has half-sleeve tattoos and a giant wizard beard. Attendings never see your tattoos unless you're in scrubs (and no white coat), so how will they know? That said, I'm at a pretty chill west coast program; things might be different elsewhere.

Any how, you interview for schools and residency in a suit and tie. Unless you're rocking the face/neck tats, no one will know you have them until you're accepted. Go for it and enjoy the process!

I thought tattoos in the OR were, in fact, encouraged.

the-todd-approves-meme-generator-the-todd-approves-435324.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting perspectives and experiences. Thanks for sharing! Good thing I have a couple years to mull over this decision..

Interesting perspectives and experiences. Thanks for sharing! Good thing I have a couple years to mull over this decision..
I'm not giving an opinion when i ask this but...are there no skin-colored tattoos or cosmetic work that can minimize the discoloration?

I'm not giving an opinion when i ask this but...are there no skin-colored tattoos or cosmetic work that can minimize the discoloration?

There is actually. They have para-medical tattooing where they can camouflage that sort of stuff very easily. Certainly a very good option but I'd have to see someone who specializes at that to verify I'm a candidate. I probably am though since my chemo basically just caused dermal hyperpigmentation so the epidermis is completely fine. It's amazing how para-medical tattooing can make port wine stains and even the redness of 3rd degree burns almost vanish. It's really a shame dermatologists and plastic surgeons are very very very reluctant to support that field (with a few exceptions). I guess maybe they feel like they are the masters of the skin and that if they can't make it right, nobody else can...

So, I am a recently treated cancer patient as well as an MS2-3 (finished with Step 1 but haven't started rotations). My chemotherapy left me with some unwelcome reminders on my left upper arm & shoulder region in the form of skin discolorations (streaks, blotches, etc.). This sort of skin discoloration, as per literature and other peoples experiences, may or may not resolve on its own but after a year or so you'll pretty much know which group you fall under. I figure in 2 years if it doesn't resolve on it's own, I may reclaim that space of my body as my own by getting a tattoo over my left shoulder and upper arm (like a half-sleeve) with a personalized design that relates specifically to my cultural background (no flaming skulls or anything).

I recognize that tattoos in medicine are generally frowned upon, but given my circumstances I'm wondering if mine would be perceived as acceptable (especially when one learns the back story). For what it's worth, I'm a student in good standing with a solid Step 1 score and I'm most interested in EM and Trauma Surgery. Not to sound self serving, but I'm a pretty personable person and tend to interview well. Also I wouldn't be getting this tattoo (assuming I still want it) until AFTER matching residency (because a half sleeve tat requires multiple sessions and I'd work with a reputable artist and would much rather go through this process when I fewer professional obligations on my plate so that I can be sure it's done correctly and tastefully).

Let me know your thoughts :)
I think having tattoos should be against the law, and those who do should be thrown in jail for suspicious drug activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think having tattoos should be against the law, and those whho do should be thrown in jail for suspicious drug activity.

Sooo you're a bigot or a troll. Take your pick.

I have a semi-non-concealable (in scrubs) tattoo on the inside of my arm. I don't think it'll be a big problem assuming I'm able to make an impression before whoever I'm meeting sees it. But who knows, maybe it will hurt me more than I think it will. It doesn't really matter at this point, because I can't do anything about it.

There is actually. They have para-medical tattooing where they can camouflage that sort of stuff very easily. Certainly a very good option but I'd have to see someone who specializes at that to verify I'm a candidate. I probably am though since my chemo basically just caused dermal hyperpigmentation so the epidermis is completely fine. It's amazing how para-medical tattooing can make port wine stains and even the redness of 3rd degree burns almost vanish. It's really a shame dermatologists and plastic surgeons are very very very reluctant to support that field (with a few exceptions). I guess maybe they feel like they are the masters of the skin and that if they can't make it right, nobody else can...

If this is accurate, someone should tell all the women looking for miracles with their post-baby stretch-marks? Anyway, I am clueless about how the medical world looks on this but it seems if patients can't see it then it really shouldn't matter. Either way, I'm a fan of the skin neutral option.

If this is accurate, someone should tell all the women looking for miracles with their post-baby stretch-marks? Anyway, I am clueless about how the medical world looks on this but it seems if patients can't see it then it really shouldn't matter. Either way, I'm a fan of the skin neutral option.

Here's a video about this sorta thing

Here's a video about this sorta thing

That kind of blows my mind. Nice! Thanks for the education.
Derm and Plastics should so contract these people or...do something. I guess that would need to be cleared by these stodgy medical boards?

I think having tattoos should be against the law, and those whho do should be thrown in jail for suspicious drug activity.

Oh you know me I'm such a druggie :rolleyes:

Here's what I'll say - people will judge you regardless. The people that judge aren't going to change. Some might judge you for having a tattoo, but it's become so common that I fail to see the reason one should be judged or treated any differently. The only times I find fault in tattoos are when someone gets something "just to get it" or "to fit in". I've seen so many outstanding tattoos on people that I fail to see how you can look at something like that and think "God, what a dirt-poor, Hep-B ridden, mindless, *****". People have their reasons for them and I actually enjoy hearing about it.

And times are changing, people. The old-school docs who believe in old school aren't staying forever and neither will their opinion. So, if you want to get one, get it. I'd applaud you for it. Especially for your reasons. If someone questions/judges you, then I'd encourage you to say why you did it so they can feel like an ignorant douche. Just.... don't get a tribal tattoo.

i would get a tattoo, but you wouldn't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari would you?

Reactions: 2 users
Here's what I'll say - people will judge you regardless. The people that judge aren't going to change. Some might judge you for having a tattoo, but it's become so common that I fail to see the reason one should be judged or treated any differently. The only times I find fault in tattoos are when someone gets something "just to get it" or "to fit in". I've seen so many outstanding tattoos on people that I fail to see how you can look at something like that and think "God, what a dirt-poor, Hep-B ridden, mindless, *****". People have their reasons for them and I actually enjoy hearing about it.

And times are changing, people. The old-school docs who believe in old school aren't staying forever and neither will their opinion. So, if you want to get one, get it. I'd applaud you for it. Especially for your reasons. If someone questions/judges you, then I'd encourage you to say why you did it so they can feel like an ignorant douche. Just.... don't get a tribal tattoo.

Hahah, yea I'm not samoan or polynesian or anything like that so definitely nothing tribal!

Hmmm I wonder how well this would work on vitiligo

This is indeed offered for people with vitiligo as well as alopecia. The only problem with vitiligo is that the areas of depigmentation have the potential to change with time

That kind of blows my mind. Nice! Thanks for the education.
Derm and Plastics should so contract these people or...do something. I guess that would need to be cleared by these stodgy medical boards?
Most plastic surgeons have medical tattoo artists they work with already - say for post mastectomy nipple/areolar tattooing. However despite the psychological benefit, it's cosmetic and therefore not covered.

Most plastic surgeons have medical tattoo artists they work with already - say for post mastectomy nipple/areolar tattooing. However despite the psychological benefit, it's cosmetic and therefore not covered.
Yet insurance plans will cover sex reassignment surgery, at least in New York, due to psych repercussions of not doing so. Go figure - but for breast CA patients, post mastectomy? No way. :rolleyes:

i would get a tattoo, but you wouldn't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari would you?

138518015_6ea368e323_o.jpg

It's your car; do what you want ;)

*it's for the gumball rally

Wait... what? That's... I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just baffled because I've heard/been told that breast implants are covered for mastectomy and all. So, I'm confused how this wouldn't be covered.

Wait... what? That's... I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just baffled because I've heard/been told that breast implants are covered for mastectomy and all. So, I'm confused how this wouldn't be covered.
We're not talking about the implants. My comment was about the medical tattoo artist for the re-creation of the nipple areolar complex. The implants are covered under the Women's Health Act of 1998; the tattooing is not always a covered benefit, depends on the policy. Sometimes the issue is that the artist don't take insurance so even if you have coverage you end up paying out of pocket and trying to recoup monies from your carrier.

Last edited:
Yet insurance plans will cover sex reassignment surgery, at least in New York, due to psych repercussions of not doing so. Go figure - but for breast CA patients, post mastectomy? No way. :rolleyes:
That is not always the case; many plans either restrict or deny coverage for gender reassignment.

Those plans that are restricted put significant limitations on the coverage. Furthermore, at the very least, Toby Meltzer M.D., a renowned local gender reassignment surgeon does not take insurance. So if you want the cream of the crop surgeon, you may end up paying out-of-pocket for it anyway, regardless of what your plan covers.

The women's health and cancer rights act of 1998 has some restrictions too and insurance companies always look for loopholes. In general I don't have too much trouble with them paying for it although they will balk at procedures for symmetry and of course the nipple areolar reconstruction. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/whcra.html

Last edited:

It's about picking the RIGHT bumper sticker :) That Enzo looks awesome

That is not always the case; many plans either restrict or deny coverage for gender reassignment.

Those plans that are restricted put significant limitations on the coverage. Furthermore, at the very least, Toby Meltzer M.D., a renowned local gender reassignment surgeon does not take insurance. So if you want the cream of the crop surgeon, you may end up paying out-of-pocket for it anyway, regardless of what your plan covers.

The women's health and cancer rights act of 1998 has some restrictions too and insurance companies always look for loopholes. In general I don't have too much trouble with them paying for it although they will balk at procedures for symmetry and of course the nipple areolar reconstruction. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/whcra.html
As much as I screw around on here, I feel like I learn tons! SDN is a proper classroom.

I think it would be badass to get a tattoo. I would get some on my pectoralis major or my deltoids, area where they could be easily covered by scrubs.

Unfortunately, I approached the topic obliquely with my parents (I pointed out a tattooed guy on the street and asked what they thought of his tattoos). They reacted surprisingly violently, and started raging about how they think that "only weirdos and insecure people get tattoos."

Well, there goes that idea. I was surprised with how angry they got, but I guess some patients will react that angrily too. Better not to make it an issue I guess.

I think it would be badass to get a tattoo. I would get some on my pectoralis major or my deltoids, area where they could be easily covered by scrubs.

Unfortunately, I approached the topic obliquely with my parents (I pointed out a tattooed guy on the street and asked what they thought of his tattoos). They reacted surprisingly violently, and started raging about how they think that "only weirdos and insecure people get tattoos."

Well, there goes that idea. I was surprised with how angry they got, but I guess some patients will react that angrily too. Better not to make it an issue I guess.
It IS your body isn't it (although I'm not sure getting one to be a "badass" is the best idea)?

You always do what your parents tell you to do? Keep doing that, women think that's hot.

Reactions: 5 users
It IS your body isn't it (although I'm not sure getting one to be a "badass" is the best idea)?

You always do what your parents tell you to do? Keep doing that, women think that's hot.

Oh, I plan to get (non-visible on scrubs) tattoos when I'm an attending, parental approval or not. But when I'm financially (and otherwise) dependent on them, I'd rather keep my head down.

Oh, I plan to get (non-visible on scrubs) tattoos when I'm an attending, parental approval or not. But when I'm financially (and otherwise) dependent on them, I'd rather keep my head down.

Fair enough. And a lot of girls do like tats. So there's that. Just don't get something stupid.

I have a weakness for girls with tats and piercings. ..

Why hasn't anyone figured out how to make tattoos with like a 6 month commitment? Derm people? What are you busy doing with yourselves?