Tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeishshort23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys,
So I got accepted to Opto School for class of 2016 and I had a tattoo in mind since high school for this very moment(btw this ins't my first one, I have my shoulders and biceps covered). Now my problem is that I'd like to get it on my outer forearm but I wouldn't want there to be a problem in opto school. If anyone has experience in this please let me know if it is really a big deal or not. Yes I understand I'd b wearing full sleeves in a professional setting for the rest of my life and I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering if the schools would have any problem with it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up guys,
I'm just wondering if the schools would have any problem with it.
Thanks

I can't speak for any other schools but at PUCO it's in the clinic manual that we aren't allowed to have tattoos showing in clinic. I know plenty of people in school that have them (myself included) but we can all cover them up for clinic. I think that's the most important part in the school's eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
At IAUPR, tattoos must be hidden in clinic. They say patients judge you based on your appearance, therefore we must look professional at all times. Hope that helps! :)

I personally have no real objection to tattoos if they are well thought out and easily concealed. But whether you like it or not, poorly placed tattoos give people a somewhat legitimate reason to judge you. I mean to be blunt, the first things many people think of when they see a tattoo either above the shoulders (neck, behind ear, etc.), below the elbows or on the lower back, are: did this person even graduate high school? what is this person's criminal history? how many illegitimate children does this person have? what band does this guy/girl think he/she's in? how many guys has this chick slept with? etc.

I just wonder if inking up is ever truly worth it. You're just giving people one more reason to judge you (I would not personally be able to justify it). In a professional school setting, visible tattoos have no possible benefit and can only hurt you (most older professors and future older employers will judge you if they see it, whether you like it or not). Plus, I would just feel silly having to ALWAYS wear long sleeve shirts, I mean it gets hot as hell in the summer most places. Just my two cents.

Last edited: